What was your very first "shack" setup?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W7UUU, Jun 4, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: QSOToday-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. N4FO

N4FO Ham Member QRZ Page

March, 1979; KA8EYM....my first shack had a HW-16 with HG10B VFO that I purchased for $150 from another ham that belonged to my club and had upgraded to a new rig and wanted someone that was getting started to have it. I also made a 40 meter dipole with some wire my dad brought home from work and a piece of Masonite for the center insulator and a couple of porcelain insulators for the ends my Elmer gave me. I can remember going to the Radio Shack store in the next town and buying 50 feet of RG-8 coax and a PL-259 connector. I laid out the wire and measured and cut it and connected it to the Masonite for the center and put the porcelain insulators on each of the ends. Soldered the coax to the center and secured it with a couple of tie wraps.

Worked a lot of QSOs on 40 and 15 with that rig and antenna. Wish I had pictures and the HW-16! I do still have my log book from then though; it is an ARRL log book I purchased via the mail from QST.

Steve, N4FO

WA7RAR, W9RAC, W5ESE and 1 other person like this.
  2. K5XOM

K5XOM Ham Member QRZ Page

Sometime in the late seventies I was KA5CKY. I bought a used Tempo One HF transceiver for $100 and a used Henry Radio 2meter Fm rig for $?

W7UUU likes this.
  3. NM7G

NM7G Ham Member QRZ Page

Very long ago: A borrowed BC459 modified for xtals and a Hallicrafter S-38C, with a low 40m doublet. Shortly thereafter acquired my own BC-459 TX with a matching ARC-5 RX. Didn't get a multiband RX until I saved enough for a used NC-125. Ironically I had a blast with these paperweights.

From the start I kept a homebrew 6AQ5, typically at 3.5W input, for backup use.

W9RAC and W5ESE like this.
  4. WB2PMC

WB2PMC Ham Member QRZ Page

1968-Novice call WN2GFE Had a used Eico 723 transmitter ann also used Hallicrafters s-120 receiver with an 80 meter dipole. One crystal for 3741 and another for 7178. Upgraded to an Eico 720 and a Hammarlund HQ 129 X and a few more crystals. Worked from SC to Canada and out to Ohio with ONE 80m Minnesota contact. Fun days.

W9RAC, W5ESE and KP4SX like this.
  5. G6DBX

G6DBX Ham Member QRZ Page

1980...Yaesu FT290 2mtr portable rig with a microwave modules linear amplifier. Aerials were 4 ele beam and J pole in loft and a quarter wave vertical on the car. Handy talkie was an Icom IC2E. had loads of fun and learned a lot. Just got back on air after 30 years.

W9RAC, AD5HR and WZ7U like this.
  6. KJ7OMD

KJ7OMD Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't have a picture my first radio, because it blew up on the very first transmission. Sent it back to Kenwood a couple of weeks ago. It is a 281a mobile. Replaced it with a Yaesu FT-991a, a few days ago. Figured hey if I'm going to do this might as well go with a good one. I hope to look back on this post in 30 years and say, "Man was I ruffing it!"

I attatched a current photo, but don't have a hosting site to put my pictures on.

Attached Files:

• desk.jpg
      desk.jpg
      File size:
      209.7 KB
      Views:
    W9RAC likes this.
  7. W7UUU

W7UUU Principal Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Just recently finished a "Nostalgic W.A.S." using my own Tempo One ... a rig I really wanted back in the 70s but couldn't afford.

It's a great old radio for what it is... I love it!! I always craft a custom QSL when I embark on a "nostalgic W.A.S. effort on a new rig" :)

Dave
    W7UUU

henry.PNG

W9RAC, KQ9J, KY6L and 1 other person like this.
  8. K8XG

K8XG Ham Member QRZ Page

To be true, it was a Radio Shack Space Command Base that did CH 14 TX and full 23 channel VFO receive , with a code key I used before I was even a teen. It also had AM/FM BCB... when I turned 12 I got a Robin 23 mobile to use as a base with Power Supply...

Then in the 80s 2 meter FM with a Midland mobile as a base, and Kenwood HT. When 10 meters was opened up to techs, a Uniden 2510, and later a Kenwood TS-830...

WZ7U likes this.
  9. K8XG

K8XG Ham Member QRZ Page

I fixed an issue on one of those in 1980 at the shop I worked for, Awesome Radio I could not afford even in 1980 !

W7UUU likes this.
  10. K8AI

K8AI Ham Member QRZ Page

January 1990 at my parents' house. A Ten Tec Century 21, homemade 40m dipole at about 15' and a J38 key from Fair Radio Sales. Exciting time.