What was your very first "shack" setup?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W7UUU, Jun 4, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. KJ6IMZ

KJ6IMZ Ham Member QRZ Page

K1LKP likes this.
  2. KB2FCV

KB2FCV Ham Member QRZ Page

My very first setup was a HW-16 and a 40/15m dipole. The HW-16 was lent out by my science teacher to interested hams in class (he ran an after school program). I used that for a short while. My station was located in my bedroom at my parents house.

The very first station I owned was a Ten Tec 540. It had a second external VFO and the digital readout. I had that radio several years.

My first station was in the bedroom until I outgrew it and moved to the basement.

W5ESE likes this.
  3. KO4GOD

KO4GOD Ham Member QRZ Page

My one and only setup is an Icom 756PRO connected to an MFJ-1836 cobweb antenna. I only have 100W out, but when the conditions are right...

I also have the ID-5100 connected to an Ed Fong DBJ-1. Love me some D-Star!

Mac KO4GOD

20200907_211831.jpg 20200818_135301.jpg

4. K1LKP

K1LKP Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

PRAISE THE LORD NOW AND FOREVER

GREAT SET UP WITH A SUPER ANTENNA........BRAVO.....

KO4GOD likes this.
  5. KO4GOD

KO4GOD Ham Member QRZ Page

Thank you, Sir! I saw an opportunity with the call sign to serve God and took it! As for the shack, it is serving me well even with the solar activity the way it is. Yesterday I hit two countries, Honduras, which can be considered close, and Slovenia...not close! :)

W5ESE and K1LKP like this.
  6. KA7CJH

KA7CJH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I was living in Taft,California. Commonly known as the Crotch of California.
    And my first "Ham Shack" was as basic as could be. There was the RadioShack HTX202 handy talky and a RadioShack Discone antenna.
    Very basic but functional setup. I guess the fact that I lived on a hill was the biggest plus. From my kitchen window I could see the lights of Bakersfield,California. And would normally only have to run low power to achieve s-9 reports from the surrounding repeaters.

But the two best factors of my location were being able to talk to the hams in Tehachapi,California (which is very hard for the folks in Bakersfield to contact - due to a mountain range right behind them)
    And the second was the time I made contact on the K6IS repeater up near Folsom,California (Sacramento) I was just scanning on a foggy night and heard the Christmas Eve net going on and decided to try making contact. I keyed up and gave my call, then once they got back to me I told them my location and then things got busy on the repeater. I had a few people asking my what I was running for power, antenna, etc.. I told them all about my station and it was then that I found out all about Tropospheric Ducting. And how the my signal was running through the layers of fog like a super highway .. It was a very fun experience.

W5ESE, W9RAC, WZ7U and 1 other person like this.
  7. KY6L

KY6L Ham Member QRZ Page

Before I was licensed, I was an SWL. I must have had at least 20 receivers as a kid, starting in the mid-1950s.....first receiver was a crystal radio I built with my dad’s help....and it worked....listened to the Arthur. Godfrey Show in L. A. Little did I know A.G. was a ham. I built my first kit around 1959ish...a Hallicrafters Sky Buddy II kit. I finally “found“ the ham bands, and that became my main target for listening.

My first actual Novice station came along while I was in the Navy, living in Hawaii....1973....Call was WH6IFG. I rebuilt a Hammarlund HX500 transmitter....huge boat anchor with an “Experimental” serial number, and bought my first NEW receiver, a Drake R4B. Antenna was a rebuilt three element tri band beam, up about 25 feet on a small tower, and I worked mostly the 15 meter Novice band. I soon realized that Hawaii was actually DX on the Novice bands, and I only had to call CQ a couple of times before generating a Novice pileup....it was great fun! Still hamming after 47 years!
    73 from Steve, KY6L
    Lompoc CA

W5ESE and KP4SX like this.
  8. KD2UHF

KD2UHF Ham Member QRZ Page

Well I started off with a nice and simple 2 meter Azden I borrowed from someone and I then got an Icom 2 meter and then I just kept getting more stuff

9. KC4UMO

KC4UMO Ham Member QRZ Page

Many years ago.

my shack.jpg

N0VFJ, WZ7U, W7UUU and 1 other person like this.
  10. KD2UHF

KD2UHF Ham Member QRZ Page

You can never have to many radios!!!

W7UUU likes this.