What was your very first "shack" setup?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W7UUU, Jun 4, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KJ6IMZ

KJ6IMZ Ham Member QRZ Page

2. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Not familiar with that term... "it talked" - does that mean you were able to have lots of QSOs? Or you just heard a lot of other folks' audio in the speaker?

Sorry - just don't know that term "it talked" - 46 years a ham but never heard someone describe a radio that way.

Diamond makes some really decent "low cost antennas" for VHF/UHF. I have had several over the years and as long as you are pretty gentle with them for portable use, they are super easy to "fold out" and get on the air. I used a Diamond 11-element 2m antenna for a couple of VHF contests out portable in the park, running 65 watts (BIG battery!) on 144.200 CW/SSB and was very impressed. Best part IMO was there was no tuning - "fold it out and go" - and the boom broke down into two easy-to-travel sections. I'd bring a 10' mast and tripod mount and it worked really well.

Dave
    W7UUU

3. KJ6IMZ

My first radio was a CB. That is in civilian life and one that I purchased. Think I fell in love with the military radios. You press the talk button and you just here to power as it winds up.

W9RAC likes this.
  4. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Cool beans - which military radios?

I love the OLD military stuff - likely way older than you're thinking - WWII ARC-5 stuff, BC-348, etc. - I still have a BC-453 and BC-454 that I put on the antenna from time to time. Granted, I was born years after WWII (1961) but by the 1970s when I got into ham radio, the old WWII stuff was FLOODING the surplus ads in magazines.

Which military rigs are your faves and why?

Dave
    W7UUU

KJ6IMZ likes this.
  5. KJ6IMZ

LOL. Sorry about that. As I recall it is a little of the CB and or Military language. Gusta/Sorta like a 5X. it is maybe/perhaps somewhat probably a little offensive I guess to some in ham radio. My apologies. I try not to be overly politically correct some things just come out. You would be/maybe not on how many times I’ve called on some terms. I wish I had model number of the antennas and radio. It is over ten years old still serves as a backup on 2m/440. Initially I used a computer for long range contacts. Talked to Germany, Australia, Korea and Japan and other stateside destinations. I talked a lot more then than now.

W7UUU likes this.
  6. W7UUU

Hey - no worries at all. I became a ham in 1974 but never did CB so never learned the lingo. I was 100% CW until about 1996 or so so "none of my radios talked" LOL!

No ill will nor disrespect meant. I learn new things every day.

Stay well

Dave
    W7UUU

7. K1LKP

K1LKP Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

W7UUU and KP4SX like this.
  8. W7UUU

K1LKP likes this.
  9. KJ6IMZ

10. KJ6IMZ

You still see a lot of military surplus on e-bay. I wish I could remember. The things one forgets. You would think one would as it, caught your attention. I did see something which resembled it on e-bay some time ago. Radio was not my MOS it was an acquired thing probably based on that interaction. I did Communications in the military. All you need is a place to put it all.