What was your very first "shack" setup?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W7UUU, Jun 4, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
  1. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

:D:D

2. KA5NLY

KA5NLY Ham Member QRZ Page

Fellas, I moved the question about 10 mw rigs over to the Pixie thread...didn't want to tie up the "First Shack" discussion with my off-topic question. I'm still here though.

Dave, I really love the "state of the Retro art" rig in your thumbnail pic! Ole Sparky, I presume?

EuGene

3. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

A kind soul on QRZ created that image for me - it's "my head on a radio guy's shoulders from 1920" :)

Dave
    W7UUU

4. KA5NLY

KA5NLY Ham Member QRZ Page

He probably called with that rig on the air as: CQ CQ CQ de W1

5. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

Hey, this house is 1920 also. Haven't found the loop antenna yet though....

6. F5VHZ

F5VHZ Ham Member QRZ Page

My first radio shack was a icom ic260, followed by an ic490 but between the two i had made my own 438.5 atv reciever, and was also very active on rtty, with a sagem spe5 and a home built codeur decodeur for rtty. I prided myself in making what i couldn't buy or find.
    Making adjustable trimmer capacitors for the atv reciever, from glass car fuses, making my first uhf reciever from a bc603 a modified tv tuner and a cb radio.
    Home made vhf and uhf tuners that i still use today 40 years on.

W9RAC, W5ESE, K5ABB and 1 other person like this.
  7. K5DEL

K5DEL Ham Member QRZ Page

Novice at 15 in 1975, Johnson Ranger II transmitter, Heath HR-10B receiver and, to be real fancy, had a Johnson 250-39 T/R switch. Dipoles for 80 & 40. I remember when the QSL cards started coming in, my dad said he wasn't sure I was really talking all the places I said I was, until he saw the cards! Sadly no pictures and the equipment long since traded off.

W9RAC, WD4ELG, W5ESE and 1 other person like this.
  8. NJ3T

NJ3T Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

My very first station as a Novice class licensee (KA3FQW) in 1980 was an old Hallicrafter SX-42 receiver and a Globe Scout Deluxe transmitter. A fella in the Pittsburgh area ground some novice frequency crystals in the 80, 40, 15, and 10 meter bands for me. It's a shame I don't remember his call but his name was Ted. I used this setup for my first 6 months as a Ham. I bought a MFJ 40 meter QRP transmitter (ran off a 9v battery) and had a blast with it, the SX-42, and the Globe Scout for another 2 months. I then upgraded to a Kenwood TS520SE. I thought I was in heaven with that rig.

hallicrafters-sx42.jpg Globe-Scout-Deluxe.jpg MFJ40t.jpg ts520se.jpg

W9RAC, KP4SX and WN1MB like this.
  9. WW2PT

WW2PT Ham Member QRZ Page

Not my first “shack,” and I was still just an SWL. I hauled my DX-160 and Sony 6500W with me to Berklee College of Music in Boston (1984). Used both receivers with a Datong active antenna. While I was there, I started studying for my ham license and ordered my HW-9 that I built in the summer of ‘85 when I got back home. Didn’t work up the courage to take the exam until 1987. My career as the next Tal Farlow never panned out.

CC322889-29EC-419A-BE1E-78D57B4B4740.jpeg

W9RAC, AE7LP, KP4SX and 1 other person like this.
  10. KJ6IMZ

KJ6IMZ Ham Member QRZ Page

1st set up was a 2 meter mobile sold to me by an Elmer. K6WST. I have to admit the price was very reasonable and it talked. As I recall it was an Alinco. Don't recall the model. Antenna was a Diamond five or six footer mounted approx 25 ft up.

W9RAC likes this.