ad: Amateur-1

What was your very first "shack" setup?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W7UUU, Jun 4, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. WN1MB

WN1MB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

My first rig, an HW-16, is also MIA. And rest assured, you and I are not alone.
    What's the problem with that? According to a Texan friend of mine*, 250 miles is just a hop, skip, and a jump away. ;)

*sorry Andrew...;)

2. KE9EX

KE9EX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Mine, too. I didn't feel like making the family lug it up to Chicago when I moved here, so I (admittedly) gave it to a ham
    so he could get on CW to increase his code speed and upgrade (this was back in the 80's). A search of his house when
    they moved out did not uncover the DX-100, which is hard to miss. I do hope it was put to good use by somebody.

3. NN2X

NN2X Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

TEMPO ONE / 15 & 40 Meter Dipole CW / Novice Operator

W9RAC and W7UUU like this.
  4. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

One of my favorite rigs of all time! Just finished a "Nostalgic Worked All States" on one recently complete with custom QSL :)

Dave
    W7UUU

tempo1.PNG

5. NN2X

NN2X Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I loved that rig (Tempo One)...What fun you had! (Working all States)...I recall just tuning up the rig, seeing the tubes fire up all very cool...My first DX was in JA station, on 15 meters. CW about 5wpm! That is why I support CW, It was just fun! I had a straight KEY, I think it was bolted down on some wooden BOX...

Later, I would work up to 15WPM, went to the OLD FCC building in NY, and passed the General...And later Extra..What a great experience! (Also passed all 9 commercial FCC Licenses)! I was constantly there!

NN2X / Tom

W9WQA and W7UUU like this.
  6. W9WQA

W9WQA Ham Member QRZ Page

forgotten national single conversion ncxxx ? and a homebrew cw xmtr with 6146 with my only xtal,3702 kc !
    id call the then ka9sgj on land line to set sched for practice. i was ka8wqa
    thanks to him im here today. long story, happy one...
    literally a turning point in my life,met my best friend art,now sk. his call used elsewhere now...

W5ESE, WN1MB and W7UUU like this.
  7. N1VAU

N1VAU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

My first "shack" was in the mid 70's, out in a mosquito filled grassy New Hampshire horse pasture with the crystal radio I assembled from a kit, connected to the "long wire" of the then unused electric fence section because the horses were grazing on the other side of the road that week.

I did have to unplug the electric fence charger where the horses were because that thing was a horrible RFI generator!

The crystal radio only worked at night but it was magical!

Last edited: Aug 18, 2020
    W9RAC and WN1MB like this.
  8. WN1MB

Thank you for the memory nudge, Clayton! Wonderful parallel to my experience in the late 50s. From https://alienjeff.net/radioslt.html:

A farmer's abandoned barbed wire fence was the antenna used with a crystal radio receiver gift from my grandparents. Sitting against a tree, I again imagined, though this time it was of being a spy deep behind enemy lines and tuning in a broadcast from afar.

I still have that crystal set and a piece of barb wire cut from that abandoned fence. Time's a-wastin'. Gotta get them both mounted on some sort of plaque for the 2020 shack wall.

W9RAC, N1VAU, W7UUU and 1 other person like this.
  9. YD2UBR

YD2UBR Ham Member QRZ Page

I think i newbe in ham radio, because my parent ,still little do not permit this activity

W9RAC, W7TCT and KA2CZU like this.
  10. WN1MB

Thank you for making such an interesting QRZ.com webpage! I enjoyed reading your bio information and the beautiful photos. Very 73!

W9RAC likes this.