What was your very first "shack" setup?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W7UUU, Jun 4, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
  1. W4IOA

W4IOA Ham Member QRZ Page

Most hams really do their learning after they get their license. The test is only a starting spot then the work begins. If a ham doesn't learn anything after the test they won't stay long.

K2EJ, WD4ELG, WN1MB and 6 others like this.
  2. W2JKT

W2JKT Ham Member QRZ Page

1989... My dad bought me a TS-440S/AT from AES Electronics in Wisconsin. He and I built a 80/40/15 meter dipole and strung it up in some trees next to the house.

WN1MB likes this.
  3. PC1RZ

PC1RZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

My first shack was next to the couch in the Livingroom, march 2016 after I got my Novice.
    The YL was completely fine with it. (And in the meantime I upgraded to my Full license, bigger additional shack in the living room and we got married in 2018, so the YL then is now my XYL )

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 10, 2020
    W7TCT likes this.
  4. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

Great photo and life history Hal.

Cant tell if that RME is the preselector or VHF converter. I still have both from the late 50's plus the Hallicrafters speaker. My receiver was a HQ-129x which I duplicated about 30 years ago along with the Viking I
    Yours looks to be a SX-24 or 25??

Carl
    Ham since 1955

W5ESE likes this.
  5. K0DRA

K0DRA Ham Member QRZ Page

Kenwood TS440, worked the world on a inverted V dipole.

W5ESE and WN1MB like this.
  6. K1LKP

K1LKP Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

congratulations_fireworks_1_[1].gif

Rotator was a 1928 Chevy steering wheel in front of me with the gearbox outside the wall.

YES.....YES.....BACK IN THE DAY ......

WE CALLED THAT THE ARMSTRONG ROTOR SYSTEM..

THIS RASCAL HAS ADDED A LITTLE COMEDY TO THE
    ARMSTRONG METNOD.

https://www.dj0ip.de/spiderbeam/the-spiderbeam/armstrong-rotor/

Last edited: Aug 11, 2020
  7. N2IIE

N2IIE XML Subscriber QRZ Page

This is my original setup in 1989. My son, Steven, in the picture was 4 years old. We were living in a small garden apartment at the time. I had a new TS-440 (and did a LOT of CW back then on it. ) into a stealthy long wire antenna into a tree in the back. The shack was in a old wall unit fold-down shelf.

[​IMG]

KJ5T and WN1MB like this.
  8. K7RQ

K7RQ Subscriber QRZ Page

Actually I had both--the VHF152A first and later the HF-10-20. The Hallicrafters was the SX-25. The receiver below the SX-25 speaker is a Howard 435A which was actually my very first receiver. I replaced the SX-25/ RME combo later with a RME-4350-A which was a tremendous improvement. And then, much later, after I was married with a family, I bought a Collins 75A4 which I used for many years.
    Hal

W9RAC and KM1H like this.
  9. N1NQC

N1NQC Ham Member QRZ Page

Hey All.

"FIRST" shack ?

Depends on your "definition" : My first receiver was dad's old RCA tube radio phono. He bought it when he was a teen to track WW II battles on a huge world map .When I was 8 ( 59 now) , my older brothers and I would dig it out and run a few ft of wire to work bench in the basement. Copied Scotland yard 2 way AM voice and other cool stuff. Temporary, set up and break down each use. Of course I eventually broke it by trying to fix it's high volume motor boating.

Fist permanent shack in bed room : Halli S-120A knife switched to a very long N-S wire or a long E-W wire. Every type of crystal set ( RS 28-178, home brew sets, all sorts of factory sets -powered or passive). First transmitter 100 mW CB walkies ( lots of fun with antennas, etc -"DX" was 3/4 of a mi !), eventually to mobile CB on dipole ( DX was 25 mi !). Went trough receiver upgrades , DX 160 by around 13 years old and onto IC R-70 and IC R-71A later on (NICE STUFF !).

Fist ham TX years later on 2 M SSB with nice beams, eventually to 10 M and finally to General on all of HF. Eventually worked most of world.

de N1NQC

W9RAC and W5ESE like this.
  10. WD5HHH

WD5HHH Ham Member QRZ Page

My first shack was in the Spring of 1970 in my bedroom. I was licensed in April that year as WN5BHT (Bill's Hot Tamales). My late father, George E. Beal Jr. - W5OXL(SK), was my Elmer who got me licensed with the help of another local Ham. I had a desk made of an unfinished door on two old drawer units from a desk that we had taken the top off of. My Transmitter was my Dad's Heathkit DX-100 run at 75 watts input to the finals and his Hammarlund HQ-129X. The antenna was a random wire run out the window. My antenna tuner was, I believe, a National Company output coupler (split fixed inductor, variable capacitor, and a coupling loop). I used a fluorescent tube to maximize output. I made a number of contacts with that system. The thing is I went off to college and lost some but not all of my interest in Amateur Radio; it was books, partying and girls that took a greater share of my interest.

I don't know of any pictures that exist of the station but there might be some among my father's many photos that I have.

The DX-100 went missing in action when loaned to the University of Arkansas Radio Club and forgotten about. Wish I knew what happened to it. I have the HQ-129X in storage; it needs a complete and major restoration. The antenna "tuner" is in storage also. The storage unfortunately is 250 miles from my current residence.

Bill, WD5HHH

W9RAC, KA2CZU and WN1MB like this.