What was your very first "shack" setup?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W7UUU, Jun 4, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: FBNews-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. KG5THG

KG5THG Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

A 7300 and made me some wire dipoles for each band. As of yet have found no reason to change. Sometimes just the simplest things work quite well.

W9RAC, K1OIK and WN1MB like this.
  2. K2EJ

K2EJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

A Yaesu FT-470 HT, and a Yaesu FT-101EE on my nightstand in my bedroom. This was back in 1992. I had a 10m vertical and a G5RV I think.

W9RAC and WN1MB like this.
  3. M0AGP

M0AGP Ham Member QRZ Page

A Hallicrafters SX-111 receiver and a homebrew 5 watt crystal controlled one tube (6AQ5) transmitter to a 40 meter dipole up 20 feet. So exciting.

W5ESE, W9RAC, KA2CZU and 2 others like this.
  4. K8EEI

K8EEI Ham Member QRZ Page

I got a copy of the Handbook and the Antenna Book and started reading them when I was about 10 . Learned a lot and I was always mechanically inclined . Building a dipole is very easy . Building a Delta Loop was a little harder . The hard part was explaining to my mom what it was and why it was up in the back yard .

W9RAC, KE8IWM, AE7LP and 1 other person like this.
  5. WJ4VA

WJ4VA Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Those were my first two radios as well! but 5yrs later in 1997. My "10m vertical" was a CB vertical... Still have both radios, the 470 is DOA and the 101 needs some TLC to get transmitting again.

6. W9RAC

W9RAC Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I think we should move forward helping new hams not having to learn anything, it is way to hard for them. Instead of pretending by memorizing the answers lets just skip it. RAC

7. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

8. N1NA

N1NA Subscriber QRZ Page

Welcome to the Fraternity/Sorority.
    (Have to be inclusive, as my XYL has her novice and is studying for the General)
    FCC granted her my first call sign (circa 1976, WB1ASW).

9. W4IOA

W4IOA Ham Member QRZ Page

giphy.gif

WZ7U likes this.
  10. W9RAC

W9RAC Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page