What was your very first "shack" setup?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W7UUU, Jun 4, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
  1. K7RQ

K7RQ Subscriber QRZ Page

1949 Shack.jpg 1

1949 0n the family farm, Oregon City OR. 225 watts AM/CW to a 75TL final and 6L6 modulators. 10 meters was incredible that year, DX wise. First antenna was a vertical folded dipole made of twin lead. Later a home brew 3 element 10 meter beam on a 20 foot tower made of a couple of silo staves. Rotator was a 1928 Chevy steering wheel in front of me with the gearbox outside the wall.

Hal, K7RQ , ex W7MYG.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2020
    K1LKP, K8EEI, WW2PT and 12 others like this.
  2. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

OK kids, when the long time hams go on about "real radios ", this is what they're talking about. :)

Back when the rigs were lead sleds and the ionosphere ran scared. :cool:

Thanks for the fantastic visuals, love the Armstrong rotor

3. KE0ZU

KE0ZU Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, real radios, real tubes, real heavy. Seems ultra basic today, but that kind of equipment really worked, just check out the QSL cards on the wall. Nice Bio and pic on the Zed. Hal, looks like you're pushing 90, well done keep up the good work.

W5ESE and WZ7U like this.
  4. K7RQ

K7RQ Subscriber QRZ Page

Yep, turned 91 in January. Still at it!

Hal

M0AGP, W7UUU, KE0ZU and 6 others like this.
  5. AH7I

AH7I Ham Member QRZ Page

NC-109, T-60, 40m dipole ~40', RG-59. No balun ;-)
    73, -bob

W5ESE likes this.
  6. KE5JWB

KE5JWB Ham Member QRZ Page

My shack consists of a Yaesu VX-6R. I am looking to expand!

Attached Files:

KA7CJH, W7TCT, PU2OZT and 1 other person like this.
  7. W4IOA

W4IOA Ham Member QRZ Page

Ha! I just buy them installed!
    Really, about 10 years ago I ran across a pile of jumpers all different lengths at a swapmeet, many were still in the bag from HRO. Super cheap, enough my DIY elmer mooched a few and he makes his own g5rv antennas when bored. Still have a bunch of them.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2020
    WW2PT likes this.
  8. KK9W

KK9W Ham Member QRZ Page

Without other generous hams I probably would have fizzled out of the hobby due to lack of funds.

After starting as many technicians do with used VHF gear and finally a $600 purchase for a Kenwood TM-D710A my chances of an HF rig were very slim. Wife and kid, new home owner and still early on my military career.

My first HF radio was a Kenwood TS-430S that was given to me by a ham in VA Beach for performing some soldering on his radio prior to a DXpedition to Guantanamo Bay. I did the work just to help him out so the radio was a great surprise. I actually bumped into him at the 2019 DX Dinner in Dayton and was able to thank him once again well over a decade later.

My first antenna was an 80M Spiro trap dipole. It was given to me by a ham in Smithfield, VA under the condition that when I was done with it that I too pass it on to the next new ham just the way he acquired it. A request I gladly honored.

Other odd bits like coax, manual tuner and mic were acquired in local "horse trades" for this and that and I strongly believe I was given the better deal out of generosity from older hams who recognized my position as the same they were in once.

The TS-430S still resides on my shack table as one of my most prized posessions. It serves as a reminder of the where I started in this hobby, those who helped me get started and to pass on items I no longer need or use to those starting out or without means.

EI2JC, PU2OZT and KP4SX like this.
  9. K1OIK

K1OIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

k1oik 1960.JPG

EI2JC and PU2OZT like this.
  10. EI2JC

EI2JC Ham Member QRZ Page

A Yaesu 767GX with a 2m module, Diamond CP22 (I think). I also had a 40m dipole of sorts but it was purely for listening as I had no HF privileges until I passed my (12 wpm) code test later that year.
    When I got my full licence I got a good trade in against a new Icom 746 which I still have.

I often said if a 767 crossed my path I'd buy it but truthfully I didn't look very hard.