What was your very first "shack" setup?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W7UUU, Jun 4, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: FBNews-1
  1. W9BRD

W9BRD Ham Member QRZ Page

WN9CJS, August 1969:

Receiver: National NC-100X (80 m) with two-Prince-Albert-cans tunable regenerative converter (40 and 15 m) built by my dad, the previous W9BRD
    Transmitter: Lettine 240 (6L6GB driving an 807, 40 W input, about 20 W out) -- its crystal socket was on-chassis between its 5U4GB rectifier and 6L6GB crystal oscillator tubes, so to avoid burns I had to change crystals with a pair of gas pliers and a flashlight
    Antenna: Loop outside (vertical runs) and through (horizontal runs) our Chicago-suburb (Norridge, IL) townhouse

In prepping the Lettine for my use, to improve on its cathode keying my dad had installed the simple differential keying circuit from the Keying and Break-In chapter of the 1969 ARRL Radio Amateur's Handbook. Unfortunately that no-one-should-use-it design involves moving the oscillator tube grid-resistor common connection from chassis to the tube's cathode, thereby setting up B-minus keying that puts the tube's full key-up plate voltage (440 V) on the keying line instead of the keyed tubes' maximum cutoff voltage (45ish volts). I found out about that while adjusting my straight key during a sleepy, late-night operating session on 80 meters...

Dave
    amateur radio W9BRD

N1YR, W5ESE and W9RAC like this.
  2. KL7JL

KL7JL Ham Member QRZ Page

IMG_20200709_222132573.jpg this is my setup.

W9RAC and KJ5T like this.
  3. K6GB

K6GB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

No pictures, but it was an FT-101E on a bench in the garage feeding a Cushcraft AV-5 vertical mounted in the middle of an aluminum carport. RadioShack straight key.

W5ESE and W9RAC like this.
  4. WA4JHE

WA4JHE Ham Member QRZ Page

WN4JHE August 1962 - Ameco AC-1, Hallicrafters S-119k, Heathkit AC-1 Antenna Tuner into a 70 foot random length "longwire".

W9RAC, W5ESE and KA2CZU like this.
  5. K8EEI

K8EEI Ham Member QRZ Page

Bought a used HW-16 and a brass key with cash I earned doing mowing and odd jobs around age 12 in early 70s and made a dipole from reading the Antenna book . A little Geometry helped me to figure out where to drill the hole in the house to bring in the feed line . No pics .

W5ESE likes this.
  6. WN1MB

WN1MB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

And to think there are newly licensed Extra Class hams here on the Zed who don't know how to build a dipole...

W9RAC, WA4JHE and WW2PT like this.
  7. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

That’s why God invented YouTube videos of how to solder a PL259.

WW2PT likes this.
  8. WW2PT

WW2PT Ham Member QRZ Page

You solder your PL-259s? Weird...I just use electrical tape.

W4IOA likes this.
  9. PA5COR

PA5COR Ham Member QRZ Page

Yaesu FT 221 R, homemade 70 cm transverter, homemade 23 cm transverter, 2 x 12 element 2 meter yagi's with homemade harnas, 1 x 21 element tonna 70 cm, homemade 58 element 23 cm yagi. ( spring 1977)
    I was into the higher bands then,
    Added homebrew 160 watt transistor amp for 2 and homemade PSU doing 40+ amps.
    Lots of fun with that.

WN1MB likes this.
  10. KJ5T

KJ5T Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I managed to find some old photos, unfortunately they were hosted on photobucket.com and the account I used is linked to an email address that is long gone. I have no idea if there is any way to recover it or not, but probably not really worth it. Here are the photos with the watermark on them but you get the general idea. A few comments:

1) In the first photo the white monitor on the top shelf next to the lamp was constantly displaying the DX cluster, my little 4TBV didn't hear everything but I sure tried to catch what I could. It wasn't the peak of Cycle 23 in 2004/2005 but 10 and 15 had activity for sure.

2) I sure liked junk on the walls.

3) The microwave spectrum analyzer was just for show, I still have it but have no practical uses for it with my current activities. My dad tried to teach me a thing or two with it but I was a typical liddish kid and just wanted to operate

4) For a teenage nerd, it was a pretty sweet bedroom!

5) The Heil Box was signed by Bob Heil K9EID, while in retrospect meeting him wasn't that big of a deal as a teenager it was like meeting rockstar!

6) While I don't have my QSL cards on display anymore, I do keep them in an old wooden box and I still get the same joy of opening up an envelope from the buro as I did when I was 15!

100_1257.jpg 100_1260.jpg 100_1259.jpg 100_1261.jpg 100_1258.jpg

Last edited: Jul 22, 2020
    W5ESE likes this.