What was your very first "shack" setup?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W7UUU, Jun 4, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. KC1NY

KC1NY Ham Member QRZ Page

Novice rig: DX-60A, Lafayette HA-230 receiver and a (gasp) Gotham vertical. Never thought to take any pictures of the rig.

PU2OZT, W9RAC and W4NNF like this.
  2. KJ5T

KJ5T Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Starting out in 2001 as a 13 year old tech, I did have limited access to my Dad's "Shack" in my parents room. He had an IC-745 (It might have been an IC-740), Kenwood R-600 (which he later gave me and upgraded to an R-2000, I still have the R-600), and Alinco DR-130 and various bearcat scanners. He used a Hustler 5BTV for HF, a discone for the scanners, and we had a 2 Meter Yagi on the roof, I can't remember how many elements but it was pointed at my Grandmother's place 60 miles away (She was KC5AUT). My first contact as a tech with was my grandmother on 2M Simplex.

For everyday use I started out with an HTX-202 that my dad gave me, and then as a birthday present I got an Icom IC-T2H. Living in Eddy, TX it is actually near an area where many towers are erected and I was near several repeaters.

My first actual "shack" of my own if you will call it that was later when we added onto the house and I had my own room, dad hooked me up with another DR-130 and Ringo Ranger II up about 30ft, played the 2M game for awhile until upgrading to General in 2004 and thanks to a great paying summer job I started my HF journey with an IC-718 and Hustler 4BTV. I have pictures somewhere of that bedroom set-up but would take awhile to find them.

W9RAC and W4CDO like this.
  3. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Great story Jeff. My dad and I had maybe one or two "meaningful times" until his death when I was 15 (he died of cancer at 57 in August 1976). Would have been so cool to have had a dad like that. You were lucky.

Dave
    W7UUU

W1TRY and WN1MB like this.
  4. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

That's just so cool! That's got to be an exceedingly rare event to say the least! :)

Dave
    W7UUU

5. WC5P

WC5P Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Yep, S-85 or SX-99 seemed like pretty tall cotton for a novice back then. We had no clue how badly those receivers really sucked. Receiver technology nowadays is light years ahead of what we had back then. Absolutely no comparison.

K8PG and W7UUU like this.
  6. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I was kept in a cramped laundry room. Knight R-100A rcvr, ARC-5, its power supply and my RCA 9K3 console radio :)
    No pix since they didn't have cameras back then ;)

W9RAC and W7UUU like this.
  7. KJ5T

KJ5T Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

She didn't get her license until her late 60's. My dad wanted her to have a radio in case they needed help because the landline on their ranch wasn't the greatest and storms would take the phones down often. With the help of Alma Lang AB5BA (SK), and her husband James K5VRJ (SK) who were VE's and had study material my grandmother took and passed both her Novice and Technician exams. While the intent was a backup to the landline, she did become very good friends with Alma who IIRC ran a ladies net on 2M which at the time had a fair amount of participation.

KO4DNI, K5ITM and WN1MB like this.
  8. W7FAL

W7FAL Ham Member QRZ Page

First radio as a tech was a UHF Motorola GP68, soon upgraded to general and picked up a used Yaesu FT 990

Attached Files:

W9RAC likes this.
  9. VE3WI

VE3WI Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

1968: EICO 723 + Heath VFO, BC-348, crappy old straight key & headphones, antenna relay with 110V coil(!), 20m dipole strung between chimneys on our house. All for $25 from a helpful grad student in our university club.

Dave, VE3WI

W9RAC and W7UUU like this.
  10. M0KBO

M0KBO Ham Member QRZ Page

I had an 857d that lived on a tiny coffee table in the dining room, i had to drape the coax through the lounge, across the sofa and through the door to get to the rig. Much to the joy of my then xyl.

New YL and new shack, on to better things! Still have the 857d.

KO4DNI, W9RAC, W5TTP and 2 others like this.