ad: UR5CDX-1

What was your very first "shack" setup?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W7UUU, Jun 4, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: FBNews-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
  1. WA8ZYT

WA8ZYT Ham Member QRZ Page

First rig was a Heathkit DX-20 and a Hammarlund HQ110-C, antenna Hygain 18-V vertical. Crystals for 3715 and 7154kc.
    Got General and upgraded to a Gonset GSB-100. Spent a lot of time on 75 meters and 6 meter AM, aquired a Heathkit HW-12. Built a 3-400Z single band amplifier, from hamfest and surplus parts. Had 8008 rectifier tubes in a bridge! Ran a 6146 transmitter from the 1963 ARRL Handbook modulated by a pair of 1625's. Used a Polycomm 62 as a receiver. 5 el Cushcraft antenna up 30'. Went off the air for a few years then got into 2M and 440 FM, aquired a Kenwood TS-700A and built a K2RIW pair of 4cx250's amp for 2 M. Currently run Kenwood 590S with Sb200 amp, SB220, and hombrew pair of 3-500Z's on 6, with homebrew 6 el LFA. TS480SAT spare radio, Icom 251A and IC-28H on 2M.

W7UUU and W9RAC like this.
  2. KN6GZE

KN6GZE Ham Member QRZ Page

Yaesu FT3D connected to a little dipole and an RTL-SDR.

W9RAC and W7UUU like this.
  3. W0AZ

W0AZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Heathkit GR-91 receiver, Ameco AC-1 transmitter, one 80m xtal, dipole about 15’ above the ground strung between two fire escapes.:)

W9RAC likes this.
  4. W4RAV

W4RAV Ham Member QRZ Page

From this (circa 2005):
    k2ncc_firsthamshack_2005.jpg

To this (circa 2010):
    741355272612304.jpg

To this (2016):
    k2nccflex6700a.JPG

To today. And a couple dozen other radios in between. :)
    w4ravstation2020a.jpg

W9RAC and W7UUU like this.
  5. WW2PT

WW2PT Ham Member QRZ Page

Equipment from my first shack, recently uncovered in an archeological dig. Carbon dating indicates it was built in 1985. No existing photos from that time of either shack or operator—for the best, since my 80’s metalhead hair would be somewhat embarrassing today...

2EC0B744-2066-4326-B283-D81C311848E2.jpeg

VK6APZ, W9RAC, W7UUU and 3 others like this.
  6. KS2K

KS2K Ham Member QRZ Page

My first station, 1910, and still my go to station, especially for contests. Nothing breaks a pile up like SPARK and CW. For safety I always wear a Flack Vest.
    KS2K

Attached Files:

W9RAC likes this.
  7. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

My first ever rig (as mentioned earlier in my other post) was a HW-7 I built myself as a teen in 1975

But the HW-9 is a real gem! One of the best analog QRP rigs of all time, IMO.

Dave
    W7UUU

WW2PT and W9RAC like this.
  8. WW2PT

WW2PT Ham Member QRZ Page

I just wish I ordered the WARC band option. :(

I also wish I didn’t loan it to a guy who applied reverse voltage to it. :eek: I don’t even know where to start to troubleshoot it.

9. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

why on Earth Heath chose not to put a cheap diode across the power input to prevent that is beyond me!!

Just recently I went to power up an old Icom rig, that was missing a power connector. Wires were black and yellow - but disappeared into a hole so couldn't see where they went. But what's to know? Black is ground, yellow is positive, right? HA! NO! after connecting it that way and the radio not turning on, I was using my VOM on the power supply, continuity on the wire, you name it - until I traced the wires on the radio and sure enough, yellow is GROUND and black is POSITIVE!!

But thankfully, Icom had the presence of mind to put a 1 cent diode across the power leads - I just reversed the wiring and off we went. Had it not been for that simple fact, I'd have smoked the radio just like your HW-9

I do see the HW-9 WARC kits come up from time to time on eBay - at "Unbuilt Heathkit" prices though ... :(

Dave
    W7UUU

W7TCT and WW2PT like this.
  10. N8ORH

N8ORH Ham Member QRZ Page

I had a Mohawk and Viking Valiant when I was 15 years old...loved that setup!