ad: hrd-2

What was your very first "shack" setup?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W7UUU, Jun 4, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Doesn't matter if it was just last week or 75 years ago.... just the cab of your truck or 1000 square feet of a basement. No matter if it was a Baofeng UV-5R or fancy new IC-7300 or old tube gear from the distant past....

Post 'em up!

Even if you don't have photos.... :)

Dave
    W7UUU

R2DYM and K2NCC like this.
  2. K1SZO

K1SZO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I was living in an apartment and my call was KC1DCB at the time. As you can see, my antenna was a vertical hanging off the balcony lol.

The positive thing was I was on the 5th floor. The negative thing was. It still sucked really bad.

I have a Kenwood TM-71A also, but it wasn't in the shot.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

KO4HYN, R2DYM, K2NCC and 4 others like this.
  3. KE0GXN

KE0GXN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Yaesu FT-60R, a Diamond mag mount antenna on a pizza pan out of my shack window.

KO4HYN, KJ6IMZ, R2DYM and 3 others like this.
  4. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Here's mine - I wish I had pictures of "slightly later" shacks but alas do not.

First one was my HW-7 that I built myself in January 1975 at age 13. Mom and Dad refused to buy used gear and the HW-7 was the only "new radio" they could afford ($79.95). No amount of pleading would get me the much better (for a noob) HW-16. But I still made contacts with my 1.5 watts of CW glory into a very low 40m dipole (up 15 feet, half of it in the tree limbs). The other "rig" was a 100mw Channel 14 "base station" that I used to talk to the kid across the street. The RS intercom I wired down to the kitchen so they could call me to dinner after 3 hours of trying to make a contact after school :)

Note that I still have this HW-7 and still use it from time to time. In 2017 I met the designer Bob Furnau, W8NDG, and he autographed it for me!! [LINK]

How about that wallpaper? Mom LOVED her wallpaper - 100% of our walls were covered in some hideous pattern or another

Dave
    W7UUU

wn7awk.jpg

KO4HYN, K9ASE, R2DYM and 10 others like this.
  5. K5MIL

K5MIL Ham Member QRZ Page

novicestation-1.jpeg Heathkit DX-60, HG-10 VFO (waiting for general ticket) and Lafayette KT-200 receiver with Heathkit Q-multiplier.

KC4LNX, R2DYM, K2NCC and 3 others like this.
  6. WC5P

WC5P Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Eico 720
    SX-99
    Straight key
    Knife switch

KD2AEF, W5ESE and W9RAC like this.
  7. K1SZO

K1SZO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Oh yeah, that wallpaper is rough. I bet it made you hungry when you were making contacts. hah (for the same reason red is popular for dining rooms)

W7UUU likes this.
  8. WN1MB

WN1MB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I was still in high school and living with my parents when first licensed. My folks were very supportive of my interest in electronics and ham radio - considering the other directions a teen in the 1960s could have taken. My father spearheaded the building of a small, partitioned off radio room in the cellar. That's where I learned about framing; rough and final electrical wiring; cutting, hanging, taping, patching, and sanding sheet rock; priming and painting. Talk about a crash course in various building trades! I also had my own workbench - separate from my father's shop - down there, too.

Equipment at the time - hmmm ... HW-16, GR-64 SWL receiver, and another SWL receiver built from a kit.

Though walk in closets in modern day McMansions would dwarf that cozy, little radio room, it was huge and spectacular for a kid. Having so much sweat equity in the project made it all the more special - regardless of the location or square footage.

Thanks for the memory jog, Dave. I really miss having my Pop around. He was the best.

P.S. @W7UUU - great seeing the obiquitous How To Become A Radio Amateur in your shack photo!

KO4HYN, KJ6IMZ, R2DYM and 5 others like this.
  9. W7UUU

I had an S-85 as my first "real receiver" (paired with a Globe Scout 680a ... and a knife switch!) - I remembering thinking just how cool would it be to have an SX-99 vs. my "lowly S-85" - not realizing the only difference between the two was the S-meter LOL!! That was a good receiver - broad as a barn but was a ton of fun to use and taught me (and I'm sure you as well) how to really use our brains as CW filters (since the radio laacked one)

Dave
    W7UUU

KO4HYN and W5ESE like this.
  10. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

ARC5 80 mtr transmitter with some kinda 6AG7 crystal oscillator that I think was I built from a handbook article... can't remember. KnightKit Star Roamer which was shortly replaced with some old Hammarlund receiver. Man that goes back. 80 meter dipole fed with some surplus RG11 cable I think. Can't really remember much else about it.

KO4HYN, W1BR, W9RAC and 1 other person like this.