ad: M2Ant-1

What was your Novice dream rig ?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W5IEI, Oct 13, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: l-BCInc
ad: L-Geochron
  1. WA4BRL

WA4BRL Ham Member QRZ Page

This was my dream Novice rig -- all Knight Kits:
    R-100A Receiver, T-150 Tranxmitter, S8A Speaker, and P2 SWR/Power meter.

I was inspired to get into Amateur Radio by this sketch in the 1965 Allied catalog so you might understand the shape of my dream station.

65-Illustration.jpg

DSC00134 - Copy.JPG

I never did get that whole rig as a high-school Novice. I acquired the R-100A used and paired it with a Heathkit DX-60B i built. I collected this rig in the picture after I retired.

W5IEI, N3AWS, N5AL and 5 others like this.
  2. KL7KN

KL7KN Ham Member QRZ Page

I was licensed in 1977, and as a Tech going in. I started with an HW16/HG10B Vfo as did many.

My "dream rig" was a Collins KWM-2. I did discover a KWM-1 under a fellows workbench covered with sawdust.
    Pretty sweet a fixer-upper. 3 years later, with fix and move up, I had a full KWN-2a/amp/station control.....

MCW tho... Soon got into MARS and worked that for several years (was an AD AF type)

N3AWS and N4FZ like this.
  3. KC2SIZ

KC2SIZ Ham Member QRZ Page

For a hollow-state rig, I will cast a vote for the Johnson Adventurer.

For solid-state, the Ten Tec Century 21 or 22.

N3AWS likes this.
  4. W9LRM

W9LRM Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Kenwood TS-940 it seemed like everyone had one at the time around here....

5. N2EY

N2EY Ham Member QRZ Page

I think the big "generational shift" happened in the 1970s.

Here's why:

Before the 1970s, the Novice license was a one-shot, non-renewable, CW-centric license with a short term and all Novice transmitters had to be 75 watts, crystal controlled.

(Yes, until about 1968 Novices had 2 meter 'phone. But that turned out to be a trap, because it distracted from the goal of getting a General or Advanced).

Then in the 1970s we saw a bunch of changes:

- Crystal control no longer required
    - Power level increased from 75 watts to 250 watts (input)
    - License was no longer "one shot" - you could get another by passing the tests again. Then it became full term renewable.

These changes were significant because:

- The 75 watts and crystal control requirements caused rigmakers to produce simple rx and tx aimed at the Novice. The end of those restrictions meant a Novice could start out with a typical SSB/CW transceiver. The simple rX/tx market was doomed by the change.

- Making the license retakeable and then renewable removed the pressure to upgrade before 1 or 2 years was up.

You can see the difference when you see what different folks here considered "dream rigs".

73 de Jim, N2EY

Last edited: Oct 16, 2021
    PU2OZT, N3AWS, WA4BRL and 1 other person like this.
  6. N2EY

N2EY Ham Member QRZ Page

What I really dreamed of was that I'd have a proper workbench with a good set of basic tools and test gear, and would build my station from scratch.

For a Novice station, a band-imaging 80/40 receiver with converter for 15 meters, and a simple 6AG7/807 MOPA for transmitting. Plus a pile of crystals.

73 de Jim, N2EY

7. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Oh, for a pile of crystals! :)

N3AWS and N2EY like this.
  8. N4FZ

N4FZ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

In 1977, Dad bought us a Yaesu FT-101EE and it served us very well!

WD4ELG and N2EY like this.
  9. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Was he or you a Novice?

10. N4FZ

N4FZ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Both of us were. We took our Novice tests together. I became WD4PJT and Dad was WD4PJU. Great memories of that day! Dad, Gene Sr. and my bird dog Duke are my Avatar picture.

W4KYR, N3AWS and WD4ELG like this.