Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W5IEI, Oct 13, 2021.
Whatever the guy on the other end of the QSO was using!
I was just damn happy I was on the air with my Johnson Viking Ranger and Mosley CM-1 receiver. I always dreamed of Drake TR4C when I had my novice ticket, but that was so far out of my meager budget....and I enjoyed what I had and made the most of it.
YAESU FT 757 GX II !!
I never owned the TRX, but in age of abt. 13 i dreamed of it but not enough money, no way at those times.
Today i could of course buy one...but that would only be a historical thing.
That was my dream novice station but far beyond my reach in 1962, but I did just fine with my Heathkit DX-60 transmitter and Lafayette KT-200 receiver. I now have my novice dream station.
Well, not everything.....
73 de Jim, N2EY
1961 - I drooled over a Johnson Ranger & Drake 2-B/2BQ & Johnson T/R Switch.
I ended up with a Globe Scout-680, NC-173 & a DPDT Knife Switch & still have RF burn scars on my finger-tips ! (My Mom used to holler in & ask "What's That Smell?")
Fifty(50) years later (2011) I finally got my Johnson Ranger along with a SP-600-JX-17, HQ-129X (Red Letter Version) AND a R390-A - (I had a couple of Drake 2-B's, but, I sold them for lack of room)
Elecraft K2, although I was in not able to get on HF at the time. Not sure I had a dream rig once I got on HF regularly; maybe a Ten Tec Corsair around then.
My novice station was pure junk. An HR-10B and Multi Elmac AF-68. The HR-10B did train you to be a good cw operator however as you had to really concentrate- as you would never hear less than 5 stations at the same time.
I just wanted to eventually upgrade so I could get something with a VFO
My first reliable radio came 6 years later. A brand new TS-520S. A miracle. It had the most amazing thing called RIT!
One not so outrageously inaccessable receiver for the Novice was the BC-348. It was built like a tank and saw service during WW2 in the B-17 bombers, among with other platforms.
It did require some modification, though, primarily removing the dynamotor and installing a homebrew AC supply in its place..