What was your Novice dream rig ?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W5IEI, Oct 13, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-Geochron
  1. N3AWS

N3AWS Ham Member QRZ Page

Whatever the guy on the other end of the QSO was using!

PU2OZT likes this.
  2. WD4ELG

WD4ELG Ham Member QRZ Page

I was just damn happy I was on the air with my Johnson Viking Ranger and Mosley CM-1 receiver. I always dreamed of Drake TR4C when I had my novice ticket, but that was so far out of my meager budget....and I enjoyed what I had and made the most of it.

N3AWS likes this.
  3. DL4QB

DL4QB Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

YAESU FT 757 GX II !!

I never owned the TRX, but in age of abt. 13 i dreamed of it but not enough money, no way at those times.
    Today i could of course buy one...but that would only be a historical thing.

N4FZ and WD4ELG like this.
  4. K5MIL

K5MIL Ham Member QRZ Page

That was my dream novice station but far beyond my reach in 1962, but I did just fine with my Heathkit DX-60 transmitter and Lafayette KT-200 receiver. I now have my novice dream station.

Attached Files:

N4FZ likes this.
  5. N2EY

N2EY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

6. VK4HAT

VK4HAT Ham Member QRZ Page

Elecraft K4

K5WY likes this.
  7. W5BIB

W5BIB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

1961 - I drooled over a Johnson Ranger & Drake 2-B/2BQ & Johnson T/R Switch.

I ended up with a Globe Scout-680, NC-173 & a DPDT Knife Switch & still have RF burn scars on my finger-tips ! :eek: (My Mom used to holler in & ask "What's That Smell?") :confused:

Fifty(50) years later (2011) I finally got my Johnson Ranger along with a SP-600-JX-17, HQ-129X (Red Letter Version) AND a R390-A - (I had a couple of Drake 2-B's, but, I sold them for lack of room)

Last edited: Oct 16, 2021
    N3AWS, KP4SX and WD4ELG like this.
  8. KB1CKT

KB1CKT Ham Member QRZ Page

Elecraft K2, although I was in not able to get on HF at the time. Not sure I had a dream rig once I got on HF regularly; maybe a Ten Tec Corsair around then.

9. K3PI

K3PI Ham Member QRZ Page

My novice station was pure junk. An HR-10B and Multi Elmac AF-68. The HR-10B did train you to be a good cw operator however as you had to really concentrate- as you would never hear less than 5 stations at the same time.

I just wanted to eventually upgrade so I could get something with a VFO

My first reliable radio came 6 years later. A brand new TS-520S. A miracle. It had the most amazing thing called RIT!

10. W4HAY

W4HAY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

One not so outrageously inaccessable receiver for the Novice was the BC-348. It was built like a tank and saw service during WW2 in the B-17 bombers, among with other platforms.
    It did require some modification, though, primarily removing the dynamotor and installing a homebrew AC supply in its place..
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

N3AWS, N5AL, AD5HR and 1 other person like this.