What was your Novice dream rig ?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W5IEI, Oct 13, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-Geochron
  1. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

Got you beat on that one: took me 48-1/2 years before I pulled the trigger on a bug. Bought a '64 Vibroplex Original Standard. Love it.

N4FZ likes this.
  2. N2UHC

N2UHC Ham Member QRZ Page

I really wish I had, because I've been wanting to get on 6m for a while now.

3. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

The TS-680 IS a nice rig, and one of the few HF radios with 6Meters available when it was still in production, (and when I bought it.) I only see two drawbacks: the 6 Meter output was only 10 Watts, not the 100 Watts for the other HF bands, and the "slide" pots get a bit flaky if not exercised frequently. I would have to occasionally "exercise" the slide pots to get them to work, but it was the want/need for more power on 6 Meters that led me to get a TS-570S(G.) 100 Watts on 6 Meters (vs 10 watts in the TS-680) makes a HUGE difference!:rolleyes:

4. W7HV

W7HV Ham Member QRZ Page

I have 1953 Vibroplex. In the mid 60's getting a Vibroplex was unimaginable so I set my sights on a Lafayette (HiMound) bug that was $29.99 back then. I couldn't afford that either. I do have one now, as well as a similar vintage SpeedX bug.

5. W3SY

W3SY Ham Member QRZ Page

And shirt pocket "shacks."

6. W3SY

W3SY Ham Member QRZ Page

You absolutely win The Internet today. Well played, sir. Well played.

DL4QB and WN1MB like this.
  7. W3SY

W3SY Ham Member QRZ Page

I bought a Navy surplus bug-like key from John, WA3MNU when I was a 13 year old Novice. Don't remember what I paid for it., but MNU bragged to anyone who would listen about how he ripped me off for that old bug. What a gigantic Delta India Charlie Kilo Hotel Echo Alpha Delta.

Was actually a nice key. Kept it for years until I eventually switched to a keyer. Not fancy and pretty like a Vibroplex, but I used it to hum along at 30+ wpm.

Glad WA3MNU was proud of himself for cheating a 13 year old kid. Or did he...?

WN1MB likes this.
  8. N2EY

N2EY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

If it was military surplus, it was probably a J-36. They were a licensed copy of the Vibroplex Lightning Bug. Many were made by Lionel.

Here's the irony: Because they were surplus and inexpensive after the war, and only made for a few years, many were hacked up or simply tossed. The result is that they are now much rarer and bring high prices as collector's items.

W3SY, WA9SVD and W4NNF like this.
  9. N2EY

N2EY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

My Novice dream rig was homebrew.

N3AWS likes this.
  10. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

I got you beat (?) on the antenna, (but I DO like your dream "antenna holder...":D) I was able to pick up a 3 element Hy-Gain 6 Meter beam, still SEALED (with staples) in the box, for $5.00 at a "Hamfester's" ( Chicago Illinois area) swapmeet, around 1968. It's STILL in use today, although I HAVE added an additional director.

N5AL and N2EY like this.