What was your Novice dream rig ?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W5IEI, Oct 13, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-3
  1. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I just worked a guy on CW last night, John WA0FDV. He was using a WRL/Globe 90W transmitter and a Drake 2-C receiver and sounded great.

I mentioned I've had some old stuff over the years but currently the only boat anchor I have is a 75A-4.

He replied he has one of those, too, and "a lot of old rigs," so I looked him up here on QRZ.com. https://www.qrz.com/db/WA0FDV

Holy crap, he has pretty much every "Novice Dream Rig" I ever dreamed of. And in his case, it's not a dream...he really has them.:p:)

PU2OZT, N4FZ and NL7W like this.
  2. NL7W

NL7W Ham Member QRZ Page

I wanted one of these as an early 80's teenager.

[​IMG]

Eventually, after many lawns mowed and some grandparent funds, it happened.

Worked the world; it helped me pass my General, Advanced, and Extra elements shortly thereafter. Skipped the Technician license altogether. Fun rig. :)

3. N4KZ

N4KZ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The novice station I dreamed about was the Johnson Ranger TX and National NC 300 RX. Never got a Ranger but had a 300 for a time. The novice TX I ended up with was the DX100. That station put a lot of 15 meter DX in my log. 73, N4KZ

NL7W likes this.
  4. W3SY

W3SY Ham Member QRZ Page

I had the "Novice S-Line," a Heath DX60B and HR10B. I didn't really have a dream Novice station in mind because I didn't count on being a Novice that long (only 6 months, actually). But when I dreamed of a future station (that I couldn't have), it was a Drake "C" line -- T4XC and R4C

KC1NY likes this.
  5. N2UHC

N2UHC Ham Member QRZ Page

I was never a novice, but as a new ham back in 1993 I probably would have wanted something like a Kenwood TS-440s. I ended up buying a TS-140s because that's about what I could afford at the time, and I've enjoyed using it ever since.

WA9SVD likes this.
  6. KC7JNJ

KC7JNJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I too was never a novice, but my dream beginner radio was an icom 735. I was lucky enough to have that radio as my beginner rig.

EFB327C9-9567-45AE-9498-E340EF432D0E.jpeg

N4FZ and K7WFM like this.
  7. N2UHC

N2UHC Ham Member QRZ Page

We had one of those at the EOC at the sheriff's office I dispatched for back in 1994-1995. I used to come in once in a while and fire it up to make sure everything was working OK on it.

KC7JNJ likes this.
  8. W0AZ

W0AZ Ham Member QRZ Page

HQ-110 (a friend had one and I loved it)
    Johnson Adventurer

A Deluxe Vibroplex bug …
    And a mess of Xtals!

9. W4HMB

W4HMB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Well, I am relatively new to this. Was licensed in 2003, and I knew an older fellow who let me make some QSOs on his FT1000 from time to time. It was very intimidating! But, he showed me the ins and outs of it back then and now I have a 1000D.

10. K7WFM

K7WFM Ham Member QRZ Page

Licensed in 1989. Wanted an IC-781 with the cool monochrome orange CRT display. Way too expensive for me at the time. Purchased a TS-940SAT for about half the price.