What was your Novice dream rig ?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W5IEI, Oct 13, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-BCInc
ad: L-Geochron
  1. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

My novice dream rig was the rig I built: a Heathkit HW-16. I honestly didn't desire any other rig.

Now, over 50 years later, what might be my combination dream/forever radio doesn't exist.

PU2OZT, W4NNF, W5ESE and 1 other person like this.
  2. WA5VGO

WA5VGO Ham Member QRZ Page

An Eico 720 and a Drake 2B. That was in stark contrast to my 6AQ5 oscillator and Knight R-100A.

Darrell

Last edited: Oct 13, 2021
    N2EY likes this.
  3. G8FXC

G8FXC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I got my licence in February 1972 - just a few weeks after the FT-101 launched. My radio mentor had one of the first to make it into Britain and I was so jealous! No way I could afford one!

Martin (G8FXC)

4. 2E0GLN

2E0GLN Ham Member QRZ Page

Ham International Jumbo & Cobra 148GTL DX - owned them both, then sold them both to buy my Kenwood when I passed my first radio exam.

5. W7HV

W7HV Ham Member QRZ Page

That was in the mid '60s and I don't remember. I do remember really lusting after a bug. It took 35 years until I finally got one.

6. W7UUU

W7UUU Principal Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Anything better than my Heathkit HW-7 was my novice dream rig

Dave
    W7UUU

N4FZ, N2EY and WN1MB like this.
  7. K8BZ

K8BZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I love your set up. Nice collection of crystals too.

A novice I met after I received my ticket had this 2-NT and C-2 pair and I was so jealous. It would have been my dream novice station also. But I still had a ball with my DX-100 and Allied A-2516.

8. W1BR

W1BR Ham Member QRZ Page

My dream station would have been the Heathkit Mohawk and matching Apache transmitter. Reality was a DX-60 and a Lafayette KT-200.

9. WC5P

WC5P Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I was jonesing for a Johnson Rsnger II and an HQ-170. I eventually owned both, but not as a novice and not both at the same time.

10. KI5WW

KI5WW Ham Member QRZ Page

Kenwood TS 520.

N4FZ and WD5GWY like this.