What was your Novice dream rig ?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W5IEI, Oct 13, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. W5IEI

W5IEI Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

That you never could afford at the time.

While my Swan 350 worked well and served its purpose, man, that Icom 751A was soooo pretty in QST ads.
    I have 2 of them now, both high SN and all mods and repairs.
    My instincts were correct,
    Excellent rig ?
    How's about you ?

N4FZ, N3AWS and W1BR like this.
  2. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Johnson Adventurer and SX-100

N2EY likes this.
  3. K0MB

K0MB Ham Member QRZ Page

Heathkit SB-101

N3AWS likes this.
  4. SM0AOM

SM0AOM Ham Member QRZ Page

Dream:

upload_2021-10-13_11-14-43.jpeg

and

upload_2021-10-13_11-15-49.jpeg

Reality:

upload_2021-10-13_11-46-46.jpeg

and

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    upload_2021-10-13_11-33-42.png
    Here, 60s/70s Novices were limited to 10 W and crystal control on 80/40/15 m, and were also supposed to build at least their transmitters. There were the occasional Drake 2-NT and Eico 723 in the hands of Novices, but they were very uncommon.

73/
    Karl-Arne
    SM0AOM

Attached Files:

KL7KN, N2EY, W5ESE and 1 other person like this.
  5. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

Dream? Collins...:rolleyes:

Reality? Inherited DX40 and SX99:(.

N3AWS and W4NNF like this.
  6. N7WR

N7WR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Back in my Novice days (1958) there were no transceivers. It was separate transmitters and receivers. My Novice station was a Heath DX 20 transmitter and Heath AR-3 receiver with QF-1 Q Multiplier. My dream rig which I could not really have used until my General upgrade in 1959 was an HQ 110 receiver and DX 100 transmitter. Never got those but I have had several "dream rigs" over the many decades since

N4FZ and WA1GXC like this.
  7. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

When I was Novicing rigs like Swan 350 and SB-101, etc were out of the question because they were VFO controlled.
    I coveted an HT-40/SX-140 because I liked the look :)

N3AWS and N2EY like this.
  8. W4HAY

W4HAY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Considering at the time I was running a homebrew 6AG7 transmitter and either a 2-stage homebrew regenerative receiver or a BC-455 Command receiver...
    Most, if not all, transmitters of the mid-'50s could be crystal controlled. It wasn't for the Novices, but for the nets. Without crystals, they'd be all over the place.

I learned early in life to keep my dream wishes a little bit realistic. There was no way in Hell a pony was going to magically appear under our Christmas tree.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    ETA: The dream did come true after I went to N.C. State College as these were exactly what the ham club station had. They also had a homebrew 500 Watt amp, which usually acted like it belonged in Dr. Frankenstein's laBORatory whenever someone tried to fire it up.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2021
    WA4BRL, N3AWS, N2EY and 3 others like this.
  9. SM0AOM

SM0AOM Ham Member QRZ Page

Certainly...
    Especially if the transmitters were built around the infamous Geloso "signal shifter".

It was before my time, but heard OT:s telling stories about AM nets in the 40s using crystals
    that were ground to exactly the same frequency and then mailed among the participants.
    A few Morse nets in somewhat more recent history also used the same approach.

73/
    Karl-Arne
    SM0AOM

10. K1APJ

K1APJ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Well, during my "window shopping days," when I was using some pretty sorry homebrew and re-purposed stuff, I was torn between the DX-60/HR-10 and the HT-46/SX-146. But once I got on the air and met some other hams with "real" gear I decided the 2-NT/2-C/2-CQ was for me. Dreamt about that station for 40 years but finally pulled the trigger. NO regrets! This is my CW position.

2_C_2_NT_A.jpg

KL7KN, WA4BRL, N3AWS and 8 others like this.