What was your most interesting Field Day contact?

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by N7BKV, Jun 23, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
  1. N7BKV

N7BKV Ham Member QRZ Page

I made a QRP QSO with K6KPH, the amateur station of the Marine Radio Historical Society at Bolinas/Point Reyes, California.

They TX on 5,000 watt transmitter! (Throttled back to amateur limits). Restored D2 Henry HF-5000D out to an Extended Double Zepp. All of this is restored equipment located at the original KPH Coast Station site.

http://www.radiomarine.org/gallery/show?keyword=K6KPH&panel=pab1_3#pab1_3

Wasn't DX in any way. Less than 200 miles. But what was cool to me was my 5 watt QCX-40 (new school cw rig, so to speak) in contact with a totally old school rig, a 5,000 watt Henry HF-5000D.

Gnat meets elephant!

RST was 599. DUH!

You may not be into the oddity of this, but it was fun. Made my (Field) day.

Brian N
    N7BKV

AG6QR, W5BIB and W9AFB like this.
  2. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

You mean this year, or ever? Field Day always sucks in interior Alaska....lucky if you can work your next door neighbor. However, my FIRST Field Day ever was my most memorable....operated from the antenna farm of W6AM with the TRW club. I didn't know Don Wallace was a legend at the time....just knew he had a big field. :)

3. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Did that actually count as a FD operation, if you used Don's antennas or antenna supports (the amazing field of 70 to 140' tall utility poles)?

I sure never worked FD from there, but did visit Don's station twice and...holy cow.

4. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

We set up our own antennas....just in the shadow of the Rhombics. :)

5. KQ0J

KQ0J XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Most interesting was hearing a lot of stations on 15M CW - worked a handful using an Outbacker antenna mounted on a tripod.

Fun!

N7BKV likes this.
  6. KA2IRQ

KA2IRQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Not an interesting contact, really, but we were operating our club call, W2GSA. Tuned up a bit on 20 phone to hear the strong station adjacent to us and it was... W2GSB! I don't think we ever worked each other though... not sure- I'll have to ask the keeper of our club log. And yes...... I did tune a bit further up the band to see if there was a W2GSC.....

7. KY8D

KY8D Subscriber QRZ Page

[​IMG] It was back in 1981 while still a Novice and my very first Field Day. From a random wire strung between lamp posts of the Maple Hill Mall parking lot in Kalamazoo, MI, operating my TS830S while seated in the Sheriff's Dept mobile trailer, got an answer from OK1ACT in Kutna Hora Czechoslovakia ... my very first DX ever.

N7BKV likes this.
  8. WB5YUZ

WB5YUZ Ham Member QRZ Page

This year? KH6J on 40m CW.

Every year for Field Day I have really just four goals; work a station in the greater NY area, work a station on the West Coast, work a station in Hawaii, and copy the FD bulletin on CW. I used to always copy it over W1AW, but next year I think I will try K6KPH (the Museum is on my bucket list).

N7BKV likes this.
  9. N4SL

N4SL Ham Member QRZ Page

Worked my dad, first QSO in FD, right out of the blue.