What was your first homebrew project?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W4ZD, Jul 11, 2018 at 1:19 PM.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-BCInc
ad: l-assoc
  1. VK4FFAB

VK4FFAB Subscriber QRZ Page

I think they want someone who can do exactly what they want and do it as fast as possible for the least amount of cost and do it now. Its just different. Uni courses are mostly shaped by industry and what they want, at least that is the case here. So lots of those what used to be foundational good to know things are just no longer taught, or they are rushed over with the expectation of if you need to know that stuff later in your specialization you will learn it for yourself.

And for the record, I am getting a good Uni style education from my lecturer friend, but i typically enjoy the more practical advice from some of the really smart people who frequent the Zed homebrew page. Some really clever old cookies out there.

N2EY likes this.
  2. W4ZD

W4ZD Ham Member QRZ Page

I think perhaps you are wrong. But I will surely defer to your "omnipotence" :eek:

3. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

There certainly is a lot of that. :(

VK4FFAB likes this.
  4. VK4FFAB

VK4FFAB Subscriber QRZ Page

I think you missed the point i was making, they would probably follow the theory and the math, but hand them a schematic of DSP circuit or my C code and it would be as useful as hieroglyphics, they would understand none of it, because no one has developed such technologies yet. This is why we should not try and compare grey beards of yesterday with young EE's today and should just accept that things are different and leave it at that.

KC8VWM and N2EY like this.
  5. W4KJG

W4KJG Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I've been on amateur radio hiatus for much of the last year. Short story for long story -- five homes in various stages of remodeling, Plus, we moved last December9 from our beloved farm, into town.

I've got a lot of home brew equipment. Most of my test equipment is home brew. Some are over 40 years old -- and many more projects are "just about finished." I have no idea how many projects are in boxes and bins in various stages of completion.

I' ve got a couple of 80-10 meter antenna couplers in working condition, but needing some finishing. One is unbalanced for end fed wires and base fed verticals. It is especially for multi-band end fed antennas, like inverted L antennas. Another is an auto coupler for balanced ladderline 80-10 meter remote antenna matching.

I've got several very rugged QRP to 50-100 Watt solid state linear and non-linear amplifiers for 80-10 meters in operational states, but needing final packaging and adequate cooling.

A QRP phasing SSB modulator used in conjunction with a DDS for digital signals to feed the amplifiers mentioned above.

A 40 meter phase locked loop synthesizer in conjunction with a Gilbert Cell mixer (SA612) to provide high quality Amplitude Modulation phone to be used with one of the linear amplifiers mentioned above.

And, more old and new amateur radio Raspberry Pi computer projects that overwhelm my energy.

I have no idea what else I've forgotten about. However, with our last QTH move, the unboxing should add to my fun.

Ken

VK4FFAB likes this.
  6. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Life Member Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Wow! Interesting story. I honestly had never heard of Novices with 15m Phone privileges... I'm really curious what year(s) that was?

I passed my Novice in December 1974, and got my ticked in March 1975. But at that time, there were no HF privileges and I was 100% CW.

Did the FCC have Phone for Novices in years prior? Really curious to hear - I just never had any idea.

10-watts input was pretty low - but better than a Heathkit Twoer :) Although, I can say I've had very solid copy on a Twoer not only years ago, but just last August.... great little radio.

What was the basic design of your "15m Novice AM" transmitter and what years were those that you were able to operate 15m AM Phone as a Novice?

Dave
    W7UUU

7. W4ZD

W4ZD Ham Member QRZ Page

I was a novice in 1966. Perhaps I imagined all this, but I think not. If I did, God help me. Maybe someone else can verify, maybe not. Maybe I was completely mistaken about privileges at the time, but I built the damn thing, and put it on the air, rightly or wrongly. I have always striven to be an honest person, can't do much more than that. As I recollect, it was a damn audio tube, a 6AU6, or something similar I had at the time. Single tube oscillator with a screen grid modulator circuit, something I found in a magazine or some such. Perhaps it is time for me to pass on. When reality does not seem real, who is to know?

[​IMG]

8. WA2CWA

WA2CWA Ham Member QRZ Page

9. KE0ZU

KE0ZU Ham Member QRZ Page

I was a novice in '55 and the authorized modes and frequencies were CW on 3.700 - 3.750 MC, 7.175 - 7.200 MC, 21.100 - 21.250 MC, and, code or voice on145.0 through 147.0 MC.

10. N2EY

N2EY Ham Member QRZ Page

Why do you think I am wrong?

The fact is, Novices in the USA have never had any voice privileges on 15 meters. Only CW. This is easily verified; just check old magazines, license manuals, etc.

Ah yes, another passive-aggressive insult.

It's not about me; it's about the facts.

Novices did not get 10 meter 'phone privileges until the 1980s.

KC8VWM likes this.