ad: TiltPlate-1

What was your first homebrew project?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W4ZD, Jul 11, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: l-assoc
  1. VK4FFAB

VK4FFAB Subscriber QRZ Page

He is my current project. 40m single conversion receiver. This is how us younguns do the pixie wrangling with our new fangled transistormebobs and integrated thingamejigs and micro confusers.

IMG_20180712_130813.jpg

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
    KC8VWM and N6RGR like this.
  2. N2EY

N2EY Ham Member QRZ Page

There has never been a time when Novices in the USA had 15 meter 'phone privileges......

3. N2EY

N2EY Ham Member QRZ Page

Why do you think that?

Sure, we do lose some. But we gain a lot more. Think about what was known about radio in 1921, and what is known today.....

73 de Jim, N2EY

4. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

Oh, mostly the lack of knowledge in an average tech worker. That could easily just be my perception, but it has been a very long time since I met anybody (in person) who knew half as much about RF as the mentors who taught me.

I also see it in people closer to my age who do other things than radio.

And after all, when was the last time you met (or even heard about) an on-the-ball field engineer from the Commission?

I have too often had to "consult" for people who had many more degrees than I did, but not even a basic understanding about the subject area where they did their degrees. It's a little unsettling, to be honest.

So yeah, my perspective is that the number of people with working knowledge of the fundamentals of their fields is shrinking, with a smaller and smaller percentage of the population keeping critical things running for the rest.

5. VK4FFAB

Things are also orders of magnitude more complex today than they were back then either. How many of those old grey beards would understand digital signal processing? I am close enough to being the village idiot when it comes to understanding great swaths of radio knowledge, but i probably know a thing or 2 that I have used in my homebrew projects that would astound an expert from the 60's.

I think its really hard to compare, other than to say, things are different.

KC8VWM likes this.
  6. KK5JY

That's not the kind of stuff I'm talking about. You are correct that things are more complex now, and have more moving parts, but what I'm seeing is way more fundamental than that.

Why do I have to explain to a PhD EE how coaxial cable works? In his decade of EE training, he never studied simple feedlines? That kind of experience has happened to me several times with people with all kinds of degrees, on subjects ranging from DSP to op-amps to basic mathematical functions implemented in hardware to all kinds of RF subjects and so on.

I'm not an expert, but there are a lot of experts who are even less so. :eek:

7. W4ZD

W4ZD Ham Member QRZ Page

I think perhaps you are correct, sir, though it is perhaps not a happy thought. Aw. well. we try, eh?

8. W4ZD

W4ZD Ham Member QRZ Page

Probably, every damn one of them. Do not confuse progress with I.Q. They are surely not the same.

9. VK4FFAB

What I mean though is that with complexity comes specialization. Also, industry probably no longer desires or sees an importance in one having a wide general knowledge base, they want someone who knows one thing and can do it well. Being the village idiot homebrewer is probably a good thing because I see it from both sides as i ask questions of the old grey beards here on the zed and I also have a friend in his 30's who is an EE lecturer at university. I ask my friend questions he does not even understand, but someone like Karl-Arne can answer them in a heart beat. Its the different kinds of knowledge each has that is the difference and uni is now turning out EE's that industry wants and they don't want guys with great general knowledge on everything.

10. KK5JY

Yeah, I get that, but there are too many people without even foundational, basic working knowledge, even though they are "subject matter experts."
    That appears to be the case with many employers. I haven't figured out what such people do want, but I get the impression that they don't know, either. ;)