What was your "coolest contact of the week"?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W7UUU, Sep 8, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. AD8BU

AD8BU Ham Member QRZ Page

I saw ZL1BQD calling CQ on 20M FT8 and managed to complete a QSO with him back on the 12th. I had to tighten down the slope filter and use the notch on my rig to clear away the QRM so I cold get a good decode. He gave me a -20, and I logged him at a -07.

I was gonna email him later that day and thank him for the QSO and his YouTube videos, but he emailed me first.

Of all the ham radio YouTubers I watch, so far Roly is the first one in my log book.

2. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Just had my "coolest contact of the week" - on a total fluke!

I came out to the shack to get some batteries for downstairs in the work office.... 20m was on the IC-7300 and I heard a CQ.

It was VA3AAA in Ontario - and being UUU myself, I'm slowly working on attaining a QSL card from AAA to ZZZ - so how perfect to hear VA3AAA, right?

But it got better!!! He has a secondary call sign that he also is licensed to use.... VE0ZZZ !!!! So we worked as two contacts in the logs!

What are the odds? Most fun contact I've had in ages and Stanley was loud, clear and we had a great chat.

:)

Dave
    W7UUU

upload_2020-10-2_14-26-13.png

Last edited: Oct 2, 2020
    K8SQB, AD5HR, WZ7U and 2 others like this.
  3. K8SQB

K8SQB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I was on 20m FT8 a month back and was tangled up in a couple stations at the same time, trying to resolve some difficult QSOs and saw a station go by, which from PSKREPORTER I could see heard me well enough to work, but he went QRT before I could catch him -- KA2ENE .. My first call sign, back in the 70s was KA8ENE. I thought that would have been a hoot to send a QSL card to.

W7UUU likes this.
  4. W4KJG

W4KJG Subscriber QRZ Page

I've made two "exotic" FT8 contacts in recent weeks. One was from a location near the North Pole in the Arctic Ocean with a maritime mobile station. It was in an area that I didn't realize was now unfrozen.

Similarly, I also recently had and FT8 contact with someone in Greenland in an area where I thought nothing could possibly live.

I would have really loved to have had phone QSOs with both of these operators.

5. NM7G

NM7G Ham Member QRZ Page

Certainly not this week, but when I had a TH6DXX at 57 feet, living in Cupertino, CA, late one night on a quiet band, I decided to call CQ. On 14054 I let fly with a CQ SA (South America). NIL. A few minutes later, called CQ again. NIL. Frequency still quiet...….kept listening. Then heard my call "....de FB8XX FB8XX'. I feel the hair on my neck stand up just typing it. It was Maurice on Kerguelen Island calling me! Unbelievable, but it happened in 1968. Think that was my contact of the year.

K8PG, KN4LGM and WZ7U like this.
  6. KC5CSG

KC5CSG Ham Member QRZ Page

Coolest contact? With my brother, KC5CQD, 3 miles away. Through the ISS crossband repeater.

W3MMM and WA4CZD like this.
  7. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

My coolest so far this week was a long rag chew with Roger NL7RY up in Anchorage.

Roger's 80 years old and was at one time a huge Heathkit collector, so we talked Heathkits for a long time. He said he at one time had the largest Heathkit collection in Alaska, and one of the largest anywhere, with a room completely filled with Heathkits -- but he no longer does, and mentioned he sold a lot of it to a VE7 (whose call I don't know).

ILRC (I like rag chews).

8. PY2RAF

PY2RAF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Dang mine was by far a long shot

@FG8OJ from Guadeloupe; FT8

But WAIT-

Two meters band! 144.175: 2900 mi contact!!

Mine is a humble 50w station; vertical dipole hanging in balcony

This is not the coolest of the week; it’s the coolest so far!!!

I could barely believe.

All confirmed in QRZ and LotW!

A070B77F-B4C1-4D7E-BA02-44D9A36292C0.jpeg

W7UUU and KP4SX like this.
  9. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Well, it wasn't one QSO, but....

(The CWT is a one-hour CW-only mini-contest held in three sessions each Wednesday, starting at 1300Z, 1900Z and 0300Z. Exchange is first name and CWO member number (if you're a member) or state/country (if you're not). Great for building code speed and operating skills.)

For some time now, I've been active in the CWTs. The best session is the 0300Z. That late at night 20 is dead but 40 and 80 are usually pretty good.

With only an hour from start to finish, there's no time to waste. The big guns turn in amazing QSO totals, but they're usually running high power, with serious antenna farms, and many are SO2R. My game is a little different; I specialize in S&P - no CQs, just answering other CQs. With 100 homebrew watts and an inverted V at 40 feet, that's the best approach for me.

I can almost always manage 40+ Qs in a session. 50+ is about average, and once in a great while I'll make 61 or 62 if all the stars align. Scoring is number of Qs times number of different callsigns, and my best was in the high 3000s. (You can work the same station once per band).

This past Wednesday's 0300Z session started off rather slow. As usual I began on 40, but by 0319 I had only 16 Qs. Didn't look like Oct 8 a record-breaker, maybe 50 Qs if I got lucky.

Finally gave up on 40 and went to 80 (changing bands with the Southgate Type 7 involves turning several bandswitches and adjusting some controls, so, 20-30 seconds lost.)

And then the real fun began. 80 CW was just packed with CWT signals, and they all seemed to hear me on the first buzz. Towards the end things began to slow down a bit as it became harder to find new ones to work. But when the ol' Tymeter Numechron clock rolled over at 0400Z, there were 68 Qs in the log, 64 different callsigns, and 4352 points! Of the 68 Qs, 52 were on 80, in just 40 minutes.

Which one was the coolest? All of them!

73 de Jim, N2EY

10. KQ0J

KQ0J XML Subscriber QRZ Page

S79VU in the Seychelles yesterday - 20M SSB , one call on simplex pretty surprised actually it was that easy, we had QSB and he was S0-S5 up and down.