What was your "coolest contact of the week"?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W7UUU, Sep 8, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
  1. KC3SWL

KC3SWL XML Subscriber QRZ Page

if that is recent news then they are still using same frequency of 11940

http://members.tripod.com/~swlchris/Radio_Cambodia.rm
    back in late 90's

2. KB9BVN

KB9BVN Ham Member QRZ Page

Was activating Park K-4183 on Friday 09/18 and worked CU3BL in the Azores (20m)....rig was K2 at 10w to a Eagle One vertical mounted to the hitch of my SUV. Made my week. POTA is so much fun.

3. WE4E

WE4E Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Worked a handful of stations in the Salmon Run on 20m ssb using the mobile I had just finished installing in my pickup. Would have worked more but I had a mess to clean up. :p:p

Yaesu FT-100D, SG-237 tuner, 102" steel whip on a home made mount to the side of the bed in the truck.

IMG_9677.jpg IMG_9661.jpg

4. WW2PT

WW2PT Ham Member QRZ Page

Contact wasn’t from this week, but the QSL is! :D

I don’t check LOTW 8 times a day anymore as I’ve been SWL’ing since before the Wuhanic Plague outbreak preempted DXpeditions, but something told me to check today...and I got a nice surprise! I think this is #220 confirmed Mixed (#211 CW), though I haven’t updated my ClubLog numbers in months. If memory serves me (a big if...), I made this contact with the K3 @100w to an Ultimax 100 (24’ end-fed) run vertically up a Jackite pole—my “temporary” antenna that’s been up for four years. It could have been 5w, though; I need to check my log.

I do remember the pileups on 40m for VP8PJ were horrendous, but I got them easily on 30m. My favorite band for low-power operation!

908493F4-CB76-4F19-B468-4FBB07ED9629.jpeg

KI7HSB and W4IOA like this.
  5. W4IOA

W4IOA Ham Member QRZ Page

Hehehe you said Wuhanic Plague:p

6. KI4POT

KI4POT Ham Member QRZ Page

This weekend I activated 2 10 point summits in Virginia (SOTA). The cool part was getting my first DX contact (Finland) on 20m SSB running 5w into an MFJ-1820T antenna mounted on a camera tripod (no trees around for a "proper" antenna. I also got contacts from Montana and Oregon. The other two were local to me in Virginia. All in about 15 minutes start to finish!

Chris

7. KE9EX

KE9EX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Last Wednesday afternoon while tuning around for some Route 66 stations I found a true 5/9 SSB signal from 9H1TT in Malta. I gave a call and we chatted for a couple of minutes. I was using the old Ten Tec 544 with the amplified D-104, but my report was only 5/2. I later discovered
    my drive wasn't up all tbe way.
    A really great contact considering how
    conditions have been.

8. XZ2A

XZ2A Ham Member QRZ Page

I was operating on 15m as XZ2A when I worked there about 2 years ago. But I moved to Laos because getting a long-term XZ permit was well-nigh impossible! There is a JA ham who works in Myanmar and operates CW on 15m, but I don't know if his XZ permit is currently active.

There are 2 routes to getting an operating permit: Go down the route of permit application etc and you can get permission to operate on 21 MHz and up, because their monitoring department spectrum analyser only operates from 20 MHz and up!! The other route is if you know 'the right people' in the government, who will override the restriction not to operate below 21 MHz. (This is all from 'the horse's mouth' from the staff in the RF licencing department in Naypyitaw whom I met on many occasions when I lived in that city!).

K5ABB likes this.
  9. KC3SWL

KC3SWL XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Wow ...what a reason to limit license.However, I am guessing hf anf up is of limited concern to Burmese authorities.
    Could you possibly describe some of the testing and licensing situations maybe in that region?
    When you mentioned how many are actually active , it's amazing to hear anything about radio in southeast asia.
    Thanks

10. K5ABB

K5ABB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Simon, thanks for the insights. I checked out your QRZ bio page, simply fascinating and heartwarming. My wife and I spent a month traveling around Burma by trains when the e-visas became available a few years ago. Amazing country, and amazingly warm beautiful people (menacing military notwithstanding). I've been itching to return for some time, but not sure about the availability of long stay visas for non-business related foreigners. Yangon is a fascinating city, but I'm really more taken by the more laid back pace in Mandalay... I guess we will see after this Covid business clears. Very interesting business on the ham licensing front (and I thought Thailand was cumbersome)... I'm curious as to your licensing experience in Laos, and what if anything you might know about Ham radio in Cambodia?

Keep up the good work,

Gordo K5ABB (Hopefully soon HS0)