What was your "coolest contact of the week"?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W7UUU, Sep 8, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. KC3SWL

KC3SWL XML Subscriber QRZ Page

This past week I had a partial FT8 contact with Laos XW3EOV right after my 40m contact with VK5MRD at 530pm right after I stopped work.I was busy editing some documents for the XYL and missed the reply to my CQ OC. So there is hope after all for Asian stations. Too bad that one got away from me..... I can't say Laos is a country I hear at all. I had to go back on the contact list and reread to believe my own eyes.:oops:

Attached Files:

2. XZ2A

XZ2A Ham Member QRZ Page

Sorry - that is a false decode :( That XW callsign is not active in Laos and the maidenhead code places it somewhere in the southern oceans near Antarctica......

There are only 2 licenced hams in Laos ==> a Russian doctor in the capital city of Vientiane who operates CW on 20,15 and 10, and myself XW0LP, who operates FT8 and SSTV. I previously operated only on 20 metres, but have just extended my licence to all HF bands!! Hope for a QSO with you :)

W4IOA likes this.
  3. K5ABB

K5ABB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks for the update, it's good to hear from boots on the ground. I still need Cambodia confirmed and Laos and Myanmar to clean up my Southeast Asia zone. Do you know if anyone is currently QRT in Myanmar ? I know there was at least one ham there (maybe you?) but only operating on one of the higher bands which are not so great right now although I have worked Thailand and Vietnam several times this year on 20m and 40m CW and SSB so I know I do know we sometimes get a path....

Working on getting my HS0 call but it's a bit of a process and I'm unfortunately stuck here in the States for the time being, but hoping things (visa and international entry) will change sooner rather than later.

4. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Earlier worked OM2VL in Slovak Republic on 40m CW during the Salmon Run / WAQP! Kind of a fun multiplier - considering I'm running in the "5 watts or less QRP" category!! 5 watts to a doublet - easy contact!

Dave
    W7UUU

5. K5ABB

K5ABB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Very cool Dave always cooler on QRP... I did work T6AA Afghanistan this week on 20CW but that's with a beam and an amp so its not quite as cool as 5w and a doublet. I did work Bhutan on 100w and a dipole when Martti was there... that felt pretty good busting through the "Great Wall of Everywhere" on 30 with no power or gain to throw at it.

W4IOA likes this.
  6. KC3SWL

well that's a a surprise but glad to know who is actually there.... now I don't feel so bad. but maybe I will get that location one day.....Only on shortwave have I got to hear that part of southeast asia.......... Voice of Cambodia in French and Voice of Vietnam

7. KC3SWL

By the way is Voice of Cambodia still in service? I actually got it recorded in Real Audio back in the 90's

8. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

From DXing Info:

External Broadcasting

The Cambodian Radio no longer has a specific external service. Twice each day, a 75 minute service in English, French, Thai, Lao and Vietnamese (15 mins for each language) is broadcast from 0000-0115 and 1200-1315, using the single frequency of 11940. No medium-wave channel could be found for either transmission, even though 1260 kHz is listed in some sources. Commencement time varies, and some days the morning service is the air as early as 2350 (6.50 am local time).

These services are intended for foreigners in Cambodia (there is no Khmer segment) and consist mainly of vocal and instrumental contemporary music, generally old Western songs, and modern Thai/Lao/Vietnamese pieces. There are very few announcements. Some transmissions do not have any announcements at all!

Modulation quality is terrible, with bad audio distortion, and there is severe frequency drift down to 11937 at times. Signal level is very weak, even in the Phnom Penh area. The morning service experiences severe interference from CRI on 11945. The service is audible in Laos and Thailand, subject to the above constraints, but it is questionable whether an audience actually exists!

It would appear that the service was originally only on MW and then extended to SW. There was a frequency of 9695/9693 used many years ago, believed to be from the same technically unstable transmitter.

9. N4KZ

N4KZ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

A couple nights ago I worked VY1CO in Yukon Territory on 40m SSB. Scott is a commanding officer with RCMP -- the Mounties. Very interesting fellow and a great QSO. Great photos on his QRZ.com page.

10. KC3SWL

So far as a contact with your station, that would be awesome. Hopefully it will happen sometimes in my lifetime. Congrats to your new band opportunities.