What was your "coolest contact of the week"?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W7UUU, Sep 8, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: QSOToday-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
  1. WA4SIX

WA4SIX Ham Member QRZ Page

Being able to hug my 78 year old Dad for the first time in 5 weeks.
    Screw Covid 19 !!!

Ed

PY2RAF, K2MMO, W7EDC and 6 others like this.
  2. W2ASC

W2ASC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Ha! Now that really is the coolest contact. It certainly beats mine! Good for you and your dad.

W7UUU likes this.
  3. W4KJG

W4KJG Subscriber QRZ Page

@W7UUU

My activity was not actually a contact. I'd been monitoring FT8 on Monday afternoon, September 7. I noticed that one of the signals that showed up on 40 Meter WSJT-X FT-8 decodes was W7UUU.

This time of year I'm not very active. Too many fish to save from drowning, too many weeds to pull from the garden, etc. My antenna wasn't hooked up due to frequent lightning storms. I was just using about a 24" jumper lead.

Going to PSKreporter could pick out W7UUU on the map. I looked to see what kind of activity Dave was seeing, and who else was seeing Dave. I started by just looking at 40 meters when looking at Dave's activity. It took a long time to display. It was pretty intense. Then I set PSKreporter for all bands. My computer locked up. I rebooted and started over. Same thing. I went to get a Coke and when I came I found this on the screen. It was for 6 hours of operating activity. Dave had obviously gone for dinner because it said he hadn't reported in 22 minutes.

Dave's new location and new antennas appear to be doing quite a good job.

Congratulations Dave

[​IMG]

W7UUU and WZ7U like this.
  4. K8BZ

K8BZ Ham Member QRZ Page

LZ3ZX, 40 meter CW, 9 Sep 202 at 2311z, 54 degrees F. All my other contacts within the past 7 days have been in the mid to upper 60's.

N1YR likes this.
  5. K6PGH

K6PGH Ham Member QRZ Page

XV1X on 20M FT8 on 8/15/2020. Vietnam was an ATNO for me and the card came in the mail today. The next day I had a contact with W7UUU on 17M FT8. Not as exciting but just as cool.

6. AD5HR

AD5HR Ham Member QRZ Page

Had a nice ragchew with Gerry on 6 meters this spring during the
    ARRL VHF test.
    I also have his QSLs on 80, 40, 30, and 15 meters as VK2APG
    before he came to the States.

7. NN3W

NN3W Ham Member QRZ Page

Beaming towards a EU this morning, a YB called me and he was an honest 10 over 9 - louder than most EU stations.

WZ7U and W7UUU like this.
  8. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Just had a nice ragchew with k0bot after the 20m maritime net. Just a fun guy

9. WE4B

WE4B Ham Member QRZ Page

Mine coolest contact this week was a simplex contact on 147.555 from inside my home on an HT. Sometimes the 'funnest' contacts are the most simple and most improbable. Radio is magic. Radio is fun :)

K5ABB likes this.
  10. N4BC

N4BC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Made my first 60 meter CW contact Saturday. Lots of Ft8 contacts there, but this was the first CW on that band. I don't really have an antenna for 60M, but my makeshift vertical will work fine with a tuner.

WZ7U likes this.