What was your "coolest contact of the week"?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W7UUU, Sep 8, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: QSOToday-1
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
  1. KU3X

KU3X Ham Member QRZ Page

I was always amazed what I can do with QRP. When I bought my KX3, I wanted to show new comers that you don't need big power to work lots of DX.
    In three months time I worked 100 different DX countries with only 5 watts.
    "Coolest contact of the week?" I'd say the other weekend. It was an Asian contest. I love working Asia from the east coast. I worked China, Thialand, Hong Kong and other numerous stations. For me, that's cool.
    Barry, KU3X

KE8FWJ likes this.
  2. NK8I

NK8I Ham Member QRZ Page

Cool for being my first contact on 33cm, N8EMA on 927.025 MHz, using a new to me Alinco DJ-G29 HT.

KE8FWJ and W7UUU like this.
  3. WQ2H

WQ2H QRZ Lifetime Member #214 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Finally creeping up on the PSK daily country list. :)

spots.jpg

4. KC3SWL

KC3SWL XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I had two in following weeks.
    UN7JO FT8 mode to Kazakhstan last week of August
    ZL1WN SSB phone on 40 meters one night last week.

5. KI4POT

KI4POT Ham Member QRZ Page

I've managed two Virginia-to-Oregon contacts on 17m SSB while working SOTA summits (two separate summits). Same guy both times. On the first he was 59 to me and I was 22 to him (antenna was only 6' off the ground due to lack of taller trees and space). On the second, where I had my antenna set up as a steep sloper going up to about 25', we were 55 to each other. All of this was on 5w. I'm certain he has a fixed station with good antenna and a bit more than 5w, but I was happy to be heard that far away on my 5w.

Otherwise, most of my HF QRP contacts are within 1000 miles.

Chris

WZ7U likes this.
  6. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

The week isn't over yet.:)

I like "ragchews" with anybody, if they're interesting.

Had one last night with Gerry AE7KI in northeastern TN. No "equipment here is" stuff, just a ragchew. He's from Australia and we discussed VHF-UHF DXing and how it's both similar and very different in VK vs. here. He's worked ZL from his mobile in VK on 432 MHz SSB, which I thought was pretty cool. We chatted for a long time about everything except ham radio.:p

But I've had long ragchews with DX also (not this week, so far). A great CW rag chewer is Fil, DU2US in P.I. He hates hit-n-run contacts and likes rag chewing, the longer, the better. We've had great rag chews (CW only) about the best restaurants in L.A. (he's been here many times) and all sorts of stuff; even exchanged recipes for Filipino specialties. Another guy where "RIG HR IS" and "WX HR IS" etc. isn't necessary, important, or even exchanged.

AD5HR and W4IOA like this.
  7. WE4E

WE4E Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

He's "local" to me, and we've talked 6m SSB a couple of times. He's a good egg.

8. WW2E

WW2E Ham Member QRZ Page

This is a great question, because I often wonder what other people consider a "good ham radio day."

A few days ago I worked UA0SR on FT8. He's only 100 miles from Zone 23, which I'm still chasing after many years in amateur radio. It was great to work him because 1) he's a great ham operator; 2) it was a good demonstration that Zone 23 is possible for me with my current setup; and 3) the radio path was directly over the north pole, which is particularly awesome (in the old-fashioned sense of "awesome").

A hundred miles from Zone 23 -- so close, but yet so far.

W7UUU likes this.
  9. W1VT

W1VT Ham Member QRZ Page

You may want to look for the 9th and 10th call districts of China for Zone 23. I worked BG0BPZ last month on 20 meter FT8 in the evening. The JTs attract huge pileups and it has been years since I've worked a UA0Y.

Zak W1VT

10. W2ASC

W2ASC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Last night with KC1LMA on 146.52 during some great tropo ducting. He was on the beach in Falmouth MA with a 5 watt HT. I was at home 169 miles away on an FT-7900 and Comet GP3. 59 both ways. Very cool.

KA7CJH and WE4E like this.