What was your "coolest contact of the week"?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W7UUU, Sep 8, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
  1. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Can be anything you consider to be cool - first time using a mode you've never tried, a QRP contact that you never thought you could make, some cool new DX that filled a need, first time you fired up some new rig or some homebrew and made a contact...

Just ANY contact that you consider to be the "coolest contact of the week"

:)

Dave
    W7UUU

K2NCC likes this.
  2. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I have two amateur friends who are sailing a 50-footer down to Trinidad and on to the Leeward Islands/ it's hurricane season.

They went through their first small storm a few days ago off the coast of Honduras, signals were good.

They're seasoned sailors but because of the virus they don't expect to be able to go into a lot of areas (to leave their boat at port.)
    40 and 20 meters and we're using automatic link on 4 & 8 megahertz Marine channels through my Belize remote

3. KY1K

KY1K Ham Member QRZ Page

I haven't been very active for awhile (Last contact over a month ago) but my two favorite contacts are:
    1. One of my very first HF contacts. SSTV to Mauritius at over 9,000 miles! I think this was QSO #2 on HF.
    2. About three years ago, the ISS repeater was active. Several contacts during a Visible pass right before local sunrise!

My "coolest contact of the week" is whatever new QSL card arrives in the mail that week. I have no use for LOTW and for me the only "Confirmed" contacts are those that I receive a card in the mail.

K2MMO and K0UO like this.
  4. WL7PM

WL7PM Ham Member QRZ Page

Copied a Mobile station, running ONE WATT on 75 meters, around 300 miles away.

K0UO and W7UUU like this.
  5. W4IOA

W4IOA Ham Member QRZ Page

Nothing fancy besides a ragchew with a ham in Kansas. What made it "special" was we both were using flagpole antennas from different manufacturers. We discussed our installations and if we'd buy them again.
    Other than that, nuttin' special like y'all get.

K0UO likes this.
  6. WX7P

WX7P Ham Member QRZ Page

AG5ND in MS. on 40m FT8.

I've been chasing MS for at least 3 weeks as my last state needed for WAS on 40m FT8. Like the other previous MS contacts, it started going bad due to interference but Allen hung in there and sent LoTW to confirm the next day.

I now have 30 and 40 FT8 WAS confirmed with 43 on 80, 48 on 20 and 42 on 17 on FT8.

Good Times!~

WZ7U likes this.
  7. KD7MW

KD7MW XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Last night I worked a 5T5 on 40m FT8 with 80w and a vertical. A new country for me. This was no “automated” contact. It took me over an hour. It was a lot like a challenging CW pileup. My signal report was -25 dB, about as low as you can get and still make contact. Honestly, I prefer an actual conversation with someone in a “common” country. But it’s also fun to play RF “darts” with the world as your dartboard.

Plus, I met a brand new General. He was calling CQ right on top of the 5T5. I sent an email, politely asking him to please QSY. He did, sent a polite reply, and I congratulated him on his upgrade, which I'd noticed when I looked him up here on QRZ. Made him happy. Made me happy.

KA0HCP and KP4SX like this.
  8. W1VT

W1VT Ham Member QRZ Page

Moved my East and West Flag receive antennas 100 ft from the house as it is much quieter there. ZS1A had a booming signal last night and was easily worked on 80M.

Zak W1VT

9. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

For this week mine are SX300ML today (special event station in Greece) on 20m SSB - 57 both ways with 100% intelligibility - I just my TA-33MW up at 68 feet and OH what a difference!

Last night I had a 15-minute rag-chew with ZL1WN also on 20m SSB

NEVER been able to have a QSO with either DX entity on SSB. Just digital modes for Greece, and digital + CW for ZL land

SO cool to actually chat with people like that!

I fully realize LOTS of folks have done this for years with "phone call quality" - but this is totally a first for me. Still running 100w at this point.

Lots of fun

Dave
    W7UUU

qsos.JPG

WQ2H likes this.
  10. KC7YRA

KC7YRA Ham Member Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

Not necessarily a single contact, but I've been operating as W7Y, "come get Wyoming" on 20 and 40 cw.

It has been a great time meeting folks.

W7UUU likes this.