What was your best 2M Es encounter??

Discussion in 'VHF/UHF - 50Mhz and Beyond' started by N9DG, Aug 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. N9DG

N9DG Ham Member QRZ Page

I haven't worked any 2M Es for a couple years now, but one of the best 2M Es events that I witnessed but didn't get into was about 3 or 4 years ago. It occurred while I was on the sidelines when there was a rip-roaring 2M Es opening to this part of the country, and I had no antennas up to work it because of house construction projects. And even more remarkable was that it lasted for well over an hour, I think closer to two hours. I was hearing all sorts of stuff on the FM part of the 2M band and repeaters from far away. It was not tropo, but definitely Es, would have to look up the write up in QST for the details. needless to say not being able to work anybody during that opening was hugely frustrating.

One other time, if I remember correctly was early July 2006. I first recognized it as Es while I was driving home from work one evening, I first noticed that the local FM broadcast station that I was listening to was being crowded out by somebody else. So I tuned around some and found a whole bunch of distant FM broadcast stations from many states away coming in from top to bottom of the FM BCB. And about that same time I started hearing far away 2M repeaters as well. I even heard some guys on the various 146 simplex frequencies as well. I even tried breaking into a group on 146.46 who were in either TN or KY I think. Didn't work real well. One, I don't think they were even aware of what was happening, and the other thing was that there was some serious and deep nulls as I drove. I think those nulls were caused by me driving in and out of the propagation hot spots.

I did however get home in time to fire up the 2M weak signal gear and make a bunch of contacts for the 30 or so minutes that it was still going once I got home. So that opening too was an hour plus. Most of the other 2M Es events that I have gotten into over the years were rarely more than 30 minutes in duration.

Anyone else have 2M Es stories to tell??

Duane
    N9DG

2. N3AWS

N3AWS Ham Member QRZ Page

Worked a station on 2 meter simplex (not via a repeater!) from Ocean Springs, MS to the Tampa, FL area via tropo--OK, not Es, but exciting nevertheless!

Jim N3AWS

3. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I've only made a few Es contacts on two meters in 48 years on the band. It's not common at all, at least not for me.

The only "event" I can recall where we made multiple 2m Es contacts was during the June VHF contest in 1987. Operating as WB2WIK/4 in FM27 (VA), we made a few (several hundred on six, and a few on 2m). I think the longest distance one was W5LUA in TX, from the shore of VA. Probably 1200 miles or something.

From here in southern CA, I have "never" made a two meter Es contact.:(

4. W0AAT

W0AAT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Made quite a few 2m ES contacts all over the country, seems like AZ was the most often worked but FL, NY...

5. WA8ZYT

WA8ZYT Ham Member QRZ Page

I've got several confirmed E skip Minnesota contacts on SSB from down here in Florida, from a couple of years ago. I think at the time, the MUF was at 246 Mhz!! I have a screen shot of that from dxmaps.com, somewhere, and a video of one the stations calling CQ.

6. K2WH

K2WH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Hoo boy, where do I begin.

All from NNJ and all on E-Skip:

West Virginia
    Illinois
    Indiana
    Louisiana
    Texas
    Missouri
    South Dakota
    Iowa
    Nebraska
    Kansas
    VE2
    VE3

That is a direct read from the card file and mostly all of it from the 70's.

K2WH

7. KO4MA

KO4MA Ham Member QRZ Page

I've been lucky enough to work usually a few 2m Eskip openings a year for the past 5-6 years. This summer was the exception with only 2 QSOs on one opening. I think the secret if you are someone who doesn't live in the shack is to use one of the services that sends a text message when the band opens, or is suspected to open. During the peak summer months I take a rig and antenna with me to work, or have the ability to log in and work remotely via the home station. Summer before this one, I worked Rhode Island from Florida with an FT-857 and a 3 element Arrow antenna with the handle stuck in the window of my work truck, sitting in a baseball field parking lot. Exciting stuff!

For me, the best opening was a few years back when 2m basically opened everywhere for several hours. It was insane. I worked Mexico, then South Dakota a bit later. Colorado popped in at one point. N0IRS made a neat video about it, and you can see my call in the beginning, and some footage I took starting around 7:45.

73, Drew KO4MA

[video=youtube;-Kh-CA3VUxM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Kh-CA3VUxM[/video]

8. N9DG

N9DG Ham Member QRZ Page

Ah, yes. It was that June 18, 2010 opening that I was thinking of and remembering being on the sidelines for while pecking away at 6M some on a 80M dipole, and watching the maps for 2M that was so painful.. I can only imagine how much stuff I could have worked on 2M if the antennas were up and the shack completely assembled. Not sure which is worse, being home and available and no gear setup to run with it, or being away from home and missing it because of work or other commitments...

9. K0RGR

K0RGR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

It was quite a few years back, but I remember one opening to the southern states and the Caribbean. Sadly, I had a very good yagi that was stuck pointing NE - so my signals were at their weakest in the direction of the DX. I don't remember actually working anybody in that opening - I could only listen, fuming. I 'ice proofed' my rotator the following winter!

We do get some spectacular tropo openings up here.

10. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

VHF FUN

I have worked a lot of two meters tropo, WX front enhancement or temp inversion but don't think any E-skip.
    Also have heard FMBC signals from as far as 300 miles back before there were local low power repeaters and translators on EVERY FM CHANNEL !!!!!! The FM band is a mess now.
    Have worked a lot of E layer on 6 and 10M though.
    Best ever DX on 2M SSB/CW was about 550 miles. Ran 140W into an 11 element Yagi at 40 ft.
    Never was able to get a high enough antenna.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.