ad: M2Ant-1

What Was Top of Line Rigs

Discussion in '"Boat Anchor" & Classic Equipment' started by KS2K, Jan 19, 2022.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: l-BCInc
  1. KS2K

KS2K Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Today sitting in my Shack, brought my thoughts back to the late 49's very early 50's. My uncle was a very active ham. When we would go to his home, he always brought us to his shack after dinner to watch him operate, in his words talk to the world. The shack in my memory of 72 years ago is that it was plush and one side of the room was full of equipment. My Uncle Passed before I got my license back in 1961. He could have been great Elmer. He did like to brag, and always told us that his main equipment was the best you could buy. I don't remember anything about what it looked like.

Thus my question for you boat anchor hams. What make/model might his main equipment have been. He certainly had the funding to buy what he wanted. Just curious what it might have been. He would go out of his mind to see the equipment I have and most hams have in technology. WOW, how time have changed. Was SSB rigs available to hams in the late 49's/50's.

KS2K

2. K7TRF

K7TRF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Hard to beat the Collins A line (aka Gold Dust Twins) during that time period though that was primarily an AM and CW era.

3. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

If it was "top of the line" stuff around 1950, very likely Collins post-war "black box" gear like the 75A-1 or 75A-2 receiver and 30K-1 or 32V-2 or 32V-3 transmitter.

Their most famous "black boxes" and the first that were actually SSB gear (although they worked AM and CW as well) were the "Gold Dust Twins," the 75A-4 receiver and KWS-1 transmitter, which came out in 1955 so in '49-'54 those would not have been available.

SSB was very experimental in the late 1940s, but did exist. Central Electronics began marketing SSB transmitters (starting with the 10A) in 1952.

In terms of "cost," literally everything that was factory built and actually worked was way more expensive then than it is today. The powerful Central Electronics 200V (200W PEP transmitter only, no receiver) cost $795 when it was introduced. That's equivalent to about $8000 today. It's only a transmitter.:)

N8ZL, N2EY and WA1GXC like this.
  4. KS2K

KS2K Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

WB2WIK, thank you for your insight
    KS2K