What Type of Antenna Do You Take Camping?

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by N4GKS, Oct 13, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-rfparts
ad: K3QNTad-1
ad: l-gcopper
  1. N4GKS

N4GKS Ham Member QRZ Page

Regular dipole, sloper, vertical, homebrew contraption that works? Would like to see your home brew vs. a store bought.

2. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I had a big RV for several years (no longer), a 32' motor home with a fairly permanent station installed and did a lot of "camping" with the family when my kids were still home and younger.

For antennas, I'd always have a few packed in the RV and use whatever "fit" at the time.

One that always surprised me how well it worked for how small it was is the MFJ "Super Hi-Q Loop" antenna that covers 40m through 15m, so it worked five bands and was only 3' in diameter. I usually just hung it by a string from a reachable tree limb, maybe 6' above ground (I'm not that tall) and the darned thing worked the world with low power CW.

But I always had a 40m dipole I could string up as an inverted vee using either a tree limb or a 19' telescoping mast which when collapsed fit inside the rear bumper of the RV along with the sewer hose (I'd wash that out so it didn't smell!) and always had a small antenna tuner so I could force the 40m inverted vee to work 3-4 bands; and often packed a 6m and 2m "halo" antenna on the roof for 50 and 144 MHz SSB for those times we camped on hilltops or mountaintops.

Did a lot of operating from National Parks way before NPOTA was a thing. We were going there, anyway.

NH7RO likes this.
  3. KK4OBI

KK4OBI Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a 31 ft motorhome with a flagpole hitch attachment. To that is mounted a 12 meter spider pole with a 40-20-15-10 meter endfed antenna bent exactly at the half way point into an inverted L form with one end over a tree.

Alternatively, I have a pair of 17 ft. telescoping whips fed in the middle to allow me to operate on 10-12-15-17-20 meters... usually as an L-dipole on 20 meters otherwise in either the tall or wide L-form depending if I want it to perform more as a vertical or as a dipole on the other bands.

Down and dirty, I have a long wire and a tuner with a tent stake for a ground.

I have completely given up on my handheld radios when traveling. Never made a contact. Only use them at rallies or when backing into a campsite.

W4CDO likes this.
  4. AC0GV

AC0GV Ham Member QRZ Page

I have used eveything from tents to Fifth wheels. It depends on the campground mostly hamsticks and dipoles. I am now camping with a SCAMP and The dipoles work best.There is a camping and RV section that has information for you.
    IMG_3629.JPG

K9ASE likes this.
  5. KF7DS

KF7DS Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

DX Engineering TW2010 vertical dipole. Surprised at how well it works on 10m-20m, and pretty well on 40m with the mono band box they have.

NH7RO likes this.
  6. US7IGN

US7IGN Ham Member QRZ Page

7. KF4ZGZ

KF4ZGZ Ham Member QRZ Page

The best set-up I have used is an MFJ-1910 (?) 33 ft. telescoping pole and an 88 ft. dipole fed with ladderline and a tuner.
    I have tried verticals, L's, slopers, random wires, random endfeds, tuned endfeds, hamsticks , etc, etc, etc.

88 ft. worked for me.

Matt

8. AI3V

AI3V Ham Member QRZ Page

Tent camper here.

In the Allegheny national Forest I use either a dipole or loop slingshot into the trees.

In the George Washington national Forest I use either a dipole or loop.

I'm the Jefferson national Forest, I use either a dipole or a loop.

In the Mononghela national Forest, I use either a dipole or loop.

In the Pisgah, I use either a dipole or loop.

On Big Savage mountain -eastern continental divide- I use either a dipole or loop.

I can't imagine actually spending money to buy a "store bought" dipole or loop.

Rege

N5DMC, NH7RO and US7IGN like this.
  9. K7WFM

K7WFM Ham Member QRZ Page

31 ft vertical wire over a tree limb or taped to an extendable 31 foot pole. Base fed from a 4:1 unun with two 31 ft counterpoises laying on the ground. I will usually strap a pole to the RV ladder with a couple of bungee cords because--quick set up. I have 25 ft of LMR-240 permanently run from the LDG auto tuner inside the RV to an outside connector in front of the rear bumper. I jumper a 3ft piece of LMR240 from that connector to the unun. I can be on the air in about 10 minutes if circumstances go well.

NH7RO likes this.
  10. KF5FEI

KF5FEI Ham Member QRZ Page

53' end-fed with the end up in a tree 30-40', and the balun about 6' off the ground. Only have to get one rope in the tree, and it works well. If we're going to be there a while, we have a dipole array we support with camo poles and a tripod adapter.