What triband yagi antenna to get?

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by W2MJP, Dec 14, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: FBNews-1
  1. W2MJP

W2MJP Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Hello everyone.
    I just recently passed my general exam and would like to start utilizing the bands. I want to put up a new tri bander and was looking at the mosley and the hy gain 3 elements 10 15 20. I was then thinking of maybe hanging a dipole to cover 40 meters and some other bands depending on the dipole i choose. I currently have a 2 element moxon for 10 meters. So any advice is always good. Thanks.

Mike K2IOF

2. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I have a Mosley TA33MW - beam on 10/15/20 with dipole element for 12 and 17. Works really well and has a long, long history.

Dave
    W7UUU

3. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

The TH-3 has been around since the late 50's and parts such as traps are common to almost all of the TH family and interchangeable. It was my first tribander in 63.

The Mosley TA-33 is rugged/heavy and the traps arent particulary efficient.

The Cushcraft A3 is well respected and the A4 is the same stretched a bit with another 10M element. Both are excellent performers

All 3 have their fans.

Carl

4. W7EDC

W7EDC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

if you don't want to spend much and 'test the waters'...I made a home brew 40m delta loop with a purchased 4:1 balun and made contacts all over the world $40 invested (I do have a at-100 pro2 tuner- that tuned it 40-17). just my opinion...as I have not been doing this very long.
    a heavy beam made of aluminum tubes 'pipe' may be more permanent...but the same calculations in wire as in 'tubes' may be more cost effective for 'seeing what is out there'. just be patient and do research .

Good Luck
    Shawn, W7EDC

Last edited: Dec 14, 2015
  5. KK4PLD

KK4PLD Ham Member QRZ Page

I have the Mosley TA33 without the WARC, 10-15-20M, it out performs my wire dipole cut for 40M by a landslide. Height has a lot to do with it as well. My longest contact with it was 6,000 miles.

6. N7WR

N7WR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

A-3 by Cushcraft is a good choice

7. W2MJP

Thanks for the replays guys. It all has been helpful.

8. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

Run the Stepp IR now but for many years used the Mosely it is a rugged well made antenna served me very well.

9. W2MJP

I am also looking at the W8AMZ made G5RV- jr. dipole 6-40 meters. I am reading a lot of good reviews. Thoughts on this antenna? I was thinking of using it in the addict of the house about 30 ft up. Maybe put it off the tower once it is erected. It will get me on the air until I get the Yagi and tower up.

10. KC5YN

KC5YN Ham Member QRZ Page

You might want to spend some time looking into the height of the antenna you are thinking of putting up, take-off angle(s) have a lot to do with doing more DX.

A personal note, I would prefer a 'trapless' antenna for less maintenance and some lower loss. That said, my old TH6-DXX was a performer.

Fred