What to send in CW without risk of getting a respons?

Discussion in 'QRP Corner' started by SA5VOX, May 21, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
  1. SA5VOX

SA5VOX Ham Member QRZ Page

As the weird header say's, What to send in CW without risk of getting a response?
    I am bitten by the QRP and is amazed how small amount of watt's that is needed to get around and want to send test messages and see wich SDR station I could here my self on or CW reverse beacon that snaps it and I get to see how far my call gets.

As I understand you have to send CQ or some sort of 'test' signal to get picked up by the beacons and as I don't want a reply what to send as a test? "T S T" or "TEST" followed by my callsign?

As I still practice the art of Morse code but is still not ready to have a conversation with it.
    I do send without problems but receiving still needs a lot of practice!
    I get the letters in fast transmission but need awfully amount of space between them to be able to decode and handle them, I do not hear it as a "language" yet. Using Koch's and Farnsworth's methods. So no flow yet but it will hopefully get there, in time.

73's
    SA5VOX

2. KF4ZGZ

KF4ZGZ Ham Member QRZ Page

A series of 3 V's is pretty much considered a test pattern on CW .
    Follow that by "de" and your callsign to keep it legal.

K5VZD, ND6M and SA5VOX like this.
  3. N6MST

N6MST Ham Member QRZ Page

TEST TEST TEST DE SA5VOX SA5VOX will get picked by RBN skimmers and people will probably not respond.

KA0HCP, N0TZU and SA5VOX like this.
  4. WB5WPA

WB5WPA Ham Member QRZ Page

V V V .... V V V .... VVV de WB5WPA

M6GYU, K5VZD and SA5VOX like this.
  5. SA5VOX

SA5VOX Ham Member QRZ Page

AHA! Wonderful! Thanks’ a lot! :)
    Will try this later this evening.
    This is very good things to know and I will drop this into one of our clubs forum threads for CW beginners, the question has come up but no answer. (It's a very small club with inactive seniors so not much help, but that is about to change!)

Hope to talk QRP to you on the air in a near future!

6. K3UJ

K3UJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Some skimmer need two calls after the de to be picked up.

7. WF4W

WF4W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

speaking of RBN - is that still working? It doesnt seem to work for me anymore - I usually get 1 response or so...

8. K8AI

K8AI Ham Member QRZ Page

"Ben's best bent wire?" I dunno...

9. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

What is legal under FCC regulations may, or may not, apply in Sweden.

10. W5BIB

W5BIB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

"CQ CQ CQ RBN and/or TEST de SA5VOX SA5VOX SA5VOX K" - That should get you spotted on the RBN.net, & most ops would figure out you are looking for RBN 'spots' & not a QSO.

I sometimes listen to my signal on a SDR station just to hear how my signal sounds. I make sure the frequency isn't in use & send some vvv'\s & 'test' de W5BIB. Ya have to be careful tho !! I've had stations come back to me on the SDR site I'm listening to & it can get confusing very quickly (with the slight delay in signals) - must remember to turn down the SDR rvcr & listen to you own side tone when sending, to keep from getting everything screwed-up with the slight delay !!

I have used a SDR site to work DX that's operating more than 1.5 khz 'split'. My Tentec Century-22 can only 'split' about 1.5 khz (using RIT) - So I find the DX on the SDR, & tune my Tentec Century-22 up 2 khz (or wherever) while listening to the DX on the SDR site & have had decent luck doing that. The only problem I've found here in the States, is, there are only a few SDR sites (Calif., Utah., Georgia, Penn.) that cover the CW bands that I work.

It's ALL fun. Have fun Karl
    77 (Long Live CW) es 72/73