ad: vanity

What to expect moving to an IC-7300?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KC3RN, May 17, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
  1. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

It does have a better display by any standards...larger and higher resolution = better for me. It's not a bad QRP rig, but it ain't a 7300...sorry. :(

KA4DPO, AC3GO and W9WQA like this.
  2. W4NNF

I love my 7610. It's the 7300 on steroids...which was what I wanted. :)

I was kinda hoping Kenwood is over their faux pas. :(

AC3GO and W0AQ like this.
  3. W9WQA

W9WQA Ham Member QRZ Page

you are joking of course about the display huh!!!. i have both rigs and the g90 scope is useable unlike the 991a but the 7300 looks like a lab instrument compared to others...

not better??? lmao...

btw,take some time to explore the many functions in the 7300 display. you surely passed over those pages...

KA4DPO likes this.
  4. K5WY

K5WY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

:eek::eek:

5. W4NNF

In all fairness, they did improve the display of the 991a compared to the 991. But not enough. Not nearly enough. :D

6. K8XG

K8XG Ham Member QRZ Page

And what amp is that? Certainly not one that needs 90-100 watts drive to do 800-1000 watts like mine that is not an issue with other radios. Your not getting the point.

Yea I can buy a Alpha amp and drive it with the 7300 set low, many folks don't have that kind of money and need to understand this wont be like one poster said blow smoke on on lower end amp.

7. W4NNF

An Alpha? No. My humble AL-811H. 50 watts drive with the 7300 easily gives 600 watts out. And I'm not hollering into the mic or something either.

I am getting the point, OM...we've been down this road at least a couple of times. Either the 7300 you have is defective, or something is not properly adjusted, or there's a measurement problem. Sorry. :(

8. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I guess folks are impressed by different things.

Since I operate mostly CW and mostly with my eyes closed, I never cared much what the front panel display (or external monitor display) looked like or did no matter what the rig was.

One reason I sold my Flex 5000 was I seriously disliked having to rely on the display to control everything. I can flip switches and turn knobs with my eyes closed, but the Flex didn't provide for anything like that; so it's amazing hi-res display, which could be as big as you want depending on your monitor, did nothing for me.

I have several HF transceivers, the best one is the Ten Tec Orion II and the oldest one is the Drake TR-7, and "in between" are the TS-850SAT and TT Jupiter, plus an old FT-857D for mobile work and a little Elecraft KX-2 for portable work; I bought the G90 to use it as a portable rig for potential SOTA/NPOTA type operations with a battery and just used it at home for about two months to become so familiar with its operation that I now can operate it with my eyes closed, and control every function without looking at it -- important to me, sometimes.

I'm now comfy enough with it that I'm ready to go portable! Unfortunately, I won't be doing that quite yet due to the virus considerations and places I'd go might get crowded -- I'm not solo hiking to isolated mountaintops. But hopefully within a month or two the lil' G90 will flap its wings from some lofty locations I can drive to.:)

9. W1TRY

W1TRY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

What to expect in an IC-7300?
    Good value for the money.
    An excellent amateur radio that does what it says.
    Easy to operate if you RTFM and get to know the radio. Google what you don't know, get a Nifty manual or the IC-7300 book on Amazon.
    If I can hear them, 80% of the time I can work them on a dipole at 90 watts.
    Good reports on AM but the bandwidth is limited. If you want to go 6 KHz wide or wider, you need to go boat anchor, Flex or Anan.
    Receive is excellent, the display has me spoiled. My Drake R4-B is excellent, but not as good as the 7300...yet.
    For the money, you really can't go wrong.
    That's just my opinion, you are free to disagree, I don't care. My mother always said I was special and handsome, so there.

10. AD0HT

AD0HT Ham Member QRZ Page

You can expect fun.

WA2IVD put together a very nice and complete video series of the 7300. About 30 introduction and use videos at 10 to 20 minutes in length.