What to expect moving to an IC-7300?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KC3RN, May 17, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: FBNews-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KC3RN

KC3RN Ham Member QRZ Page

That's actually a major concern for me. I had an IC-7100 with the same problem. Could never get more than 30 watts on SSB (using a steady tone). Don't want to go down that road again. I'm sure the 7300 has enough juice to drive an amp, but I'm running barefoot.

Two other things that concern me -only 1 antenna port, and only one key jack. If I upgrade rigs, I'd really like to find a radio that has two of each.

NE3Z likes this.
  2. K8XG

K8XG Ham Member QRZ Page

In other threads very respectable posters who do extenisve testing on this, have noted the ALC programming is different form CW and DiG modes. His quote was like the Computer ALC actually seems to know your talking, not doing CW or data, and pulls back. I'll did up his call sign when I can.

And I have seen in person the same issues on IC-7100s.

Art

3. K8XG

K8XG Ham Member QRZ Page

No its not a bad unit, I can drive the 6-pin port on the back just fine.
    Also try driving a lowly AL-80A with one vs an amp that can get exited at low drive levels

4. K8XG

K8XG Ham Member QRZ Page

Try one out in person if you can just to make sure you like it before buying , like any thing else.

Also while it doesn't punch the meters, if you have a good path on each end you will get a good audio "quality" report like when I am driving my AL-80A showing about 400 watts peak to almost 500. Art

Last edited: May 17, 2020
  5. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

What I meant was what I said, OM, if that was your experience, cool beans. It just wasn't and hasn't been mine. As for Kenwood? I don't know how they are now, but years ago, they were the Queen of Cold Solder. :)

6. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I've never had power output problems on SSB with the 7300. And it most assuredly drives my amp to 800 watts out SSB with 65 watts drive. :)

K1OIK likes this.
  7. N3KE

N3KE Ham Member QRZ Page

Are the folks saying the 7300 falls apart in contests actually using the IP+ dithering mode? That’s a 20 dB difference in 3rd order IMD at 20 kHz offset and about 13 dB at 2 kHz. That’s a pretty huge difference which would make an excellent receiver seem like a bad one if you had IP+ off.

KA4DPO likes this.
  8. NE3Z

NE3Z Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Considering my Kenwood experience I'd say that still applies today. I really like the radio and really tried over look hundreds in shipping costs until I couldn't over look it anymore.

I almost bought the 7610, almost.

OK Rod ditto on cool beans---FYI: I am ex K3EY we know each other via here:)

W4NNF likes this.
  9. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

The 7300 does not have a "better" display in any way; it has a "larger" one. The G90 displays the same stuff, including the spectrum scope and waterfall, signal level measured in -dBm, TX power output, "S" meter, mode, both VFOs status (A or B or split), etc. And its display is amazingly bright and colorful, very easy to read...just smaller.

The 7300 does not have "better" filtering, it has the same DSP filtering, selectable from 8 kHz down to 150 Hz on the G90. The filtering in both examples is done in exactly the same way using the same chipset.

10. K6LPM

K6LPM Ham Member QRZ Page

Talk Power? Hmm..... Ok perhaps. Different strokes for different folks. I say quality is many times preferred over quantity.
    That said,,,, something the designers and engineers on the 7300 project did, they did right.
    I think it is pretty much impossible to make a Icom 7300 sound bad on the air. They enough settings and adjustments satiate most any individualistic, gadget freak, power user. You can keep it simple or you can dive deeper to custom tailor your vocal tone.... No matter how inept, ya just cant make it sound bad.
    I will say that if you get a 7300, you will likely expect to receive many unsolicited reports over what great audio your transmissions might be.
    Yeah, I believe that there are some other popular radios I often hear on the air, I suppose ya might call it, "talk power" .
    I am hearing over processed audio and SSB signals that are so wide and wider than a typical. true AM signal. Many audiophile enthusiasts not realizing that their audio might be big and dynamic but are sounding very machine like with strange artifacts and just very unnatural or over the top. Usually very wide too.