What to expect moving to an IC-7300?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KC3RN, May 17, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: FBNews-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KC3RN

KC3RN Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm currently running an IC-746 (non-pro) and a Yaesu FT-450D. Both are okay rigs, but I'm ready to move on to something else. Currently I operate about 40% CW, 40% digi, and 20% SS, mostly on the 746. I'm not really concerned about losing 2m, as I don't go there much, and I have a couple of FM rigs that can fill the gap.

I live in an urban area, so stronger signals are occasionally problematic, but not always.

I'm starting to work more SSB, and the 7300's I've heard on the air sound great, so that interests me. However, I've occasionally heard folks say the CW performance is less than impressive, so that concerns me a bit. On the digital side, I love the fact the 7300 has a built in USB port.

Anyway, I'd be interested in hearing any opinions. Thanks!

2. W5IEI

W5IEI Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

You can expect a very good little rig,with a little learning the menu will make you smile.
    You can also expect,that blindfolded,you probably couldn't tell much difference from what you currently use.
    I'm the last guy to ever talk anyone out of buying a new rig though,I have close to 30 of them,and the 7300 is currently my 3rd favorite after my 7700,and Flex 6500.
    Mike

K4AGO and K0UO like this.
  3. K1OIK

K1OIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I traded my Flex 6400M for one, I am very happy, no more crashes, waiting 70 seconds to boot, noise limiter works, no more blue screens, better audio reports, no software bugs. Plus no longer does the S-meter stand at S7 with no antenna, buy one or more.

2E0OZI, W1TRY, NY4Q and 6 others like this.
  4. KC3RN

KC3RN Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks Burt. That's a pretty impressive statement.

K1OIK likes this.
  5. K1OIK

K1OIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I also hear Flex new amplifier at $7000 is so loud (fans) hams are placing it in other rooms.
    You can't lose with the Icom 7300.

W4NNF likes this.
  6. K8XG

K8XG Ham Member QRZ Page

The 7300 is the newest HF rig I have. I USE it 90% digi, 7% CW , very little SSB. The ALC on ssb is over agresive on SSB , a MFJ 998 auto tuner will show about 4.5 watts when you takl n SSB , 105 watt CW , 98 watts digital. Regular meter shows 50 watts peak on SSB. Posts here sbow it is the ALC that somehow knows your talkimg and pulls back. Folks say Icom does that to make sure thier rigs sound clean.

Some nets will say Im weak, i swith to my 991a and sound loud. There is a very knowledgable poster here stationed in Soual KR, and saya the 7300 has noisier RX SSB then even his 891; I agree with him. I USE the 7300 for digi and switch to 991a for SSB.
    Sherwoods site has some must do settings for CW and if you use an AMP.

Would I buy it again? Yes. K8XG
    Sorry for typos , have to lay in bed for a few days longer.

K4AGO likes this.
  7. W5ESE

W5ESE Ham Member QRZ Page

I think I would find the change hard.

K8XG likes this.
  8. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

You can expect a lot of joy.

When the 7300 came out I sold the Flex 6700 (one of the best day of my Ham life)!

K1OIK likes this.
  9. WN1MB

WN1MB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

...provided you're given one. Otherwise, plan on losing a little over $1,100. ;)

NE3Z likes this.
  10. K1SZO

K1SZO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The interesting thing about that video is, he says I can turn on noise reduction on the IC-7300, but that wouldn't be fair. Not sure what fair has to do with it.

Both are great radios though. If I could only have *one* radio, I would take the *best* radio for my needs no matter what name that is printed on it. The feature set on the IC-7300 is very hard to beat at it's price point.

K6LPM and W5ESE like this.