What to do with an old Yaesu Mark V...

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by AE8MM, Feb 10, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

Rob Sherwood compares them here: http://www.sherweng.com/table.html

2. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I don't think Rob ever tested the FT-1000MP MKV other than the "Field" version, which is a 12V model that is different from the full-blown 200W MKV.

And of course he "ranks" them only by one factor, so you really have to read all the columns to make any kind of comparison.

Wow, I'm hearing SOTA activations here on 2m FM (146.52) right now and it's pouring rain outside; in the mountains above about 4000 feet, it's snowing. These people are crazy!:p I'm going to answer one of them now to see if he's crazy, or just lost.:)

WA7PRC likes this.
  3. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

Why do you think the MarkV is not relevant anymore? They can still make many contacts and they do a pretty good job of it last time I checked...

MVC-001F-6.jpg

4. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Decent radio. The lack of an auto-tuner, which seems to have you stymied, is really not an impediment. As others have said, put up a resonant antenna and give it a try. Or just buy an inexpensive manual tuner. One is easy to operate and just as effective as a modern built in tuner.

WZ7U and WA7PRC like this.
  5. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Sell it.

The FT-1000 family are top-of-the-line rigs from 25 years ago and are excellent performers when properly fitted with good filters (meaning Inrads at both IFs).

Where they really shine is in tough contest and DX conditions with big antennas.

But if you don't find the FT-1000 to be better than your IC-7300 for the kind of operating you do...sell it.

6. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm pretty sure I'd find the 1000MP MKV better than the IC-7300 in most respects I care about.

But that's why I recommended using both, side by side, with an antenna switch.

7. NY7Q

NY7Q Ham Member QRZ Page

SELL IT TO ME....I LOVE THE MODEL VERY MUCH. QUANTA COSTA?

8. WE4E

WE4E Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Talk on it! Take out the Icom tuners, use the one in the MkV. Top notch transmit audio and a very capable receiver.

9. KF4ZGZ

KF4ZGZ Ham Member QRZ Page

A cheap manual tuner rated at 200 watts and have at it.
    Spend a week or 3 cruisin' here and the other couple of "mostly" reputable classifieds and you'll get a decent deal on one.