What to do with an old Yaesu Mark V...

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by AE8MM, Feb 10, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. AE8MM

AE8MM Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

200 watts of POWER!!!

So I've recently come into possession of a old, but good condition Yaesu FT1000MP Mark V and I'm debating what to do with it.

1. Keep it, The catch here is both of my HF antennas make use of Icom automatic antenna tuners (1 AH-3 and 1 AH-4). Building a box to use the Icom tuners with a Yaesu radio can be done, but the tuners are only rated at 125 watts on SSB. Making the extra power of the Mark V useless. But the radio is in good shape and I could get another tuner. (MFJ, LDG, SGC?)

2. Sell it. Its a relatively un-upgraded model and only has the TCXO module and one Collins SSB mechanical filter in it.

3. Trade it... I have a IC 7300 for my main station radio, and I keep being tempted to upgrade to a 7610...

So what to do? Is the Mark V even relevant to keep anymore with my station having some more advanced transceivers already?

2. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

Keep it. What have you got to lose?

3. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

4. Install antennas that don't need any tuner, and then use the MK V at full power without worries.:)

The 1000MP MKV is a really good radio, they were extremely popular and I still hear a lot of them on the air. Connect it and the IC-7300 both to an antenna switch so you can rapidly switch from one to the other while you're tuning around the bands and see what you think.

You may be very surprised.

WA7PRC, KD0CAC and WZ7U like this.
  4. W1TRY

W1TRY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I don't want to sound loco, but you might have motive, if you're on the right track, to finally operate Railroad Mobile, if you can engineer it...
    [​IMG]

AE8MM likes this.
  5. US7IGN

US7IGN Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, but it need a lot of filters. Without them it is not really good. No one want to buy filters today. 200w is not significantly more then 100w. I would leave it as a backup radio. Only because it is old big beauty good radio.

6. W3ATV

W3ATV XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Like Steve said- Install resonant antennas. That is probably the best upgrade you can do to your station. Then sell the MKV and 7300 and grab that 7610!

7. KC3SWL

KC3SWL XML Subscriber QRZ Page

It never hurts to have a decent back up rig...I was given a Kenwood TS870 and I still have the old trusty TS430 as a backup to the 870.
    While it might not be the same as an amp inline,that extra 100 watts might make a bit of difference..

8. W7ARX

W7ARX Guest

what Steve said...Ths 1000 series have excellent high end receivers and great on low bands....best put your money into proper working antennas.... GL

9. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

If you really don’t want the rig, I’ll gladly take it off your hands. Just let me know how much you need for shipping.

N2EY likes this.
  10. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

If an op works mostly SSB, it's perfect just as it is.

For CW (or digi modes), narrower filters, of course -- but they're readily available and not that expensive.

I've never had the opportunity to A/B directly compare the MK V with an IC-7300 side-by-side but having used both, my money would be on the MK V being the better performer in many ways. Of course, it's also a lot bigger, heavier and needs its own special power supply for the 200W model. I'd clear the desk space for it.:)

WA7PRC likes this.