ad: wmr-1

What to Do BEFORE Moving to an HOA

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K8QS, Jun 28, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
  1. W2AAT

W2AAT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

You also wrote "And my response was that each should be respected for his or her own choices." So, you can respect those (each) who use their avocation to drive their life even if the activity affects their family!

2. K5XS

K5XS Ham Member QRZ Page

Oh good grief. That's an absurd extrapolation. By that reasoning you could say I respect the choices of those who commit crimes.

My comments were clearly focused on hams who choose to allow their pursuit of amateur radio to not be compromised by potential investment appreciation of their home. And that was in the context of this thread on HOA covenants.

If people want to move into areas with antenna restrictive covenants because they are driven by home value appreciation (or other factors), good for them. Who am I to argue?

If people want to live outside an HOA area, and focus less on home value appreciation so they can more fully enjoy Amateur Radio as they choose, good for them. Who is anyone to suggest they are wrong?

3. W2AI

W2AI QRZ Lifetime Member #240 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I wouldn't mind living in a double wide mobile home on one acre of land. There is no social shame living in one. In New York State, new manufactured mobile homes must meet state, local building and zoning codes.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2021
    K4YNZ likes this.
  4. W2AI

Could womanizing be considered an avocation??:eek::eek::p:p

5. W2AAT

There are those who would consider "womanizing" as a "passion" :D:D:D:D

W2AI likes this.
  6. W2AI

I view school districts as perpetual money pits. In New York State, school district taxes are the burden of property owners and go up 2% each year! So when the residents complain to the school board about their property tax bill: the teachers' union responds, "If you can't afford the taxes--sell out and move!"
    And many are leaving the Empire State in droves!!

Last edited: Jul 31, 2021
    KB2SMS likes this.
  7. W2AAT

We left 16 years ago :)

8. W9HJ

W9HJ QRZ Lifetime Member #294 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

A bit topical, but Callum and friends just put up a video about using a LOG (Loop On the Ground) antenna for receive and how good it is.

9. KD7YVV

KD7YVV Ham Member QRZ Page

Most of my friends are dead, I have one but he's in Nevada and not a ham.
    My family is in other states and while I have 3 of them licensed, they don't live in
    an area where an HF antenna is practical.

10. KD7YVV

KD7YVV Ham Member QRZ Page

That may be true for some, but when I owned my home I took pride in appearance and functionality.
    I always kept the gutters clean and the lawn mowed. A house is quite an investment and one not to be
    squandered. If you have money to throw away, buy a house and don't maintain it.

11. KD8ZM

KD8ZM Ham Member QRZ Page

Good point.
    Anyone could just as validly ask W2AAT if he moved to an HOA because he secretly loathes ham radio and wanted an excuse to not operate?
    Once we get into the "mind-reading secret motives" business, the possibilities are endless.

KR3DX likes this.