What size mast should I use

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by KD7VEA, Jan 24, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-2
  1. W7UUU

W7UUU Principal Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I used 2" O.D. 1/4" wall T6-6061 tubing cut to 12 feet from a 20 foot stock. The 20 foot piece was $300 and they charged me $25 to cut it (had I known, I would have brought my own metal chop saw!!). The 8 foot left-over piece sold locally for $75

Not cheap but I wouldn't use anything else for a tower mast.

Dave
    W7UUU

2. KD7VEA

KD7VEA Ham Member QRZ Page

The reason for ales i g it with the 1 1/2” is because the VHf antennas all use 1 1/2” mounts, not 2”. I can definitely do a solid pice of 2”, I got quote on paper today. 20 feet of 2” 1/4 wall 6061 $198. 20 feet of 1.5” 1/4 wall 6061 $137, so. Y the time I would get the short section of 2”, either way, it’s just under $200.

3. AK5B

AK5B Ham Member QRZ Page

A lesson fer you, young fella---always carry a hacksaw in the back of your car or truck! :p

4. W7UUU

W7UUU Principal Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

TELL me about it bruddah!! I got the "do you feel like an idiot yet?" award that day.

Dave
    W7UUU

AK5B likes this.
  5. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Did they actually use a hacksaw to cut the 2" tubing?

Never saw them do that, and I've picked up a lot of that stuff from the tubing suppliers here over the years. They put it on a machine that rotates the tubing and a cutting blade comes down to slice it -- it's "all over" in about 30 seconds.

I don't have anything like that at home, so I've always had "them" do it.:p

WZ7U likes this.
  6. WB8NQW

WB8NQW Ham Member QRZ Page

Back in the middle 1970s I was looking for 2" OD aluminum tubing with 1/4" wall. The price was $249 & change for a 24' length plus cutting charge. The nice lady on the phone said it was much cheaper if I bought 5 tons of it. So I started to visit businesses that I thought might use aluminum tubing. I found a local factory that used solid 2" aluminum bar that came in 12' lengths that was 50% stronger than 6061-T6. I asked him what he would charge for a piece. He said it was expensive but he would have to check the book. After looking it up he said he would need $60.00. I asked where to back up my truck. That mast was at 70' until about 5 years ago when I removed the tower.

Bob

WZ7U and AK5B like this.
  7. W7UUU

No. Industrial metals chop saw for up to 6" diameter tubing stock

I just meant had I had my own saw with me I'd not have paid them $25 for the 2 minutes it took them to cut the tubing down.

Granted - the cut is a lot cleaner. But not that it would have made any difference in the end

Dave
    W7UUU

AK5B likes this.
  8. NG1H

NG1H XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Battery powered sawzall (with a new metal blade) or an angle grinder will go through the thinner wall steel masts fairly quickly. Thicker masts may need multiple blades (and possibly batteries). Cutting oil always helps. If you are afraid of making a little mess with the oil then use cutting wax. On brands I personally prefer Makita but DeWalt is also good.

9. KN6MRC

KN6MRC Ham Member QRZ Page

Interested in how it goes OP. Been wanting to use t6 6061 to telescope off the ground and above my roof