ad: AbAuRe-1

What should our next ARRL CEO be?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W7VO, Aug 19, 2018.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: DLSpec-1
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. W7VO

W7VO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The ARRL has a defining moment in the future of the League coming up very shortly, if not already a "done deal". Rumor has it that the Board, in their July meeting has made a selection of a new CEO to replace recently departed Tom Gallagher, NY2RF, and Barry Shelly, N1VXY, our interim CEO. This CEO role is critical to the future of the League. In my opinion the next CEO MUST possess the business skills and acumen to drive our member organization, but he also MUST have specialized skills, like lobbying, and working the international standards process. That said, the other MUST have is that our next CEO has to be a LEADER. This means that he must be a trusted and known member of the amateur radio community, have the respect of the membership, on the air with a demonstrated passion for the hobby, and a vision for the future to be successful on his very first day on the job.

It seems that what we CANNOT have is a new CEO whose primary goal is the financial success of ARRL- The Corporation, while overlooking ARRL-The Member Organization. The ARRL is currently shedding members faster than a dog in spring, and we need to stem that tide. This is done by having a strong, respected leader at the top with a real vision for the future of amateur radio, and very importantly, respect for the general membership.

When the ARRL increased the dues several years ago they knew they would lose membership in the process, and that has come true in spades. Some 12% of the membership has left the fold in the last couple of years (From 176,000 to about 154,000 as reported in the ARRL 2017 Annual Report). They expect to lose about 5,000 more members this year (two percent). Our previous CEO thought that was OK, since the dues increase would more than offset the revenue losses of those that chose not to continue membership. How is that philosophy good for either the ARRL, or amateur radio in general? Shouldn't members need to be thought of more than just a revenue stream?

I sincerely hope that our new CEO (still to be named), fits the bill, and only time will tell. What are your thoughts?

73;
    Mike, W7VO

K9SS and KA4DPO like this.
  2. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

What should our next ARRL CEO be?

Cyberdyne T1000

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG] Meet the new ARRL CEO. All hail our new CyberDyne overlords. :rolleyes:

KA4DPO and N1EN like this.
  3. N5RFX

N5RFX Ham Member QRZ Page

I vote for human.

Mark N5RFX

KI2H likes this.
  4. W4IOA

W4IOA Ham Member QRZ Page

They should focus on financials, and perhaps develop a working sensible mission statement.

5. KY5U

KY5U Subscriber QRZ Page

Anybody can spend $1000 to make $10, and anyone can be a "profits above all and screw the members" CEO. The trick is to not give away the farm but balance profits with organization and modernization skills. A few suggestions:

1. Roll back membership cost
    2. Reduced life membership for those over 60
    3. Cut epenses
    4. Open the windows and doors of governance to the members
    5. Formalize yearly member input
    6. Cut Winlink centric proposals
    7. Retract the current NPRM.
    8. Come up with an amateur retention plan and implement.
    "Mission Statements" are corporate bulls#it as they exist today. If you have a mission statement it should be short and attainable by a concise action plan with monthly updates and formal review at BOD meetings. No butterflies, flowers, and soft bunnies all the time to the public. Get to the nitty gritty and get things fixed. First mission statement ought to be "Make the ARRL Worthy of Membership".

Organizational Comments:
    1. Use the phone to settle issues or meet face to face.
    2. Email is NOT action. Calling someone is.
    3. Minimize formal internal meetings.
    4. Meetings are not the place to work out day to day issues, they should be for updating members and staff of action.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2018
    K9SS, KA4DPO, NK2U and 9 others like this.
  6. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

Just having fun with you neighbor. :p

W5BIB likes this.
  7. W5BIB

W5BIB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

SUPER HAM ! :rolleyes:

[​IMG]
    :p:p
    (The bands are dead & I've had a couple-of-beers) - [hangs head in shame]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 19, 2018
    KA4DPO, W4POT, KK4CUL and 3 others like this.
  8. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

9. W2TXB

W2TXB Ham Member QRZ Page

Exactly... the "mission statement" is but a talking point (or several talking points), and while most folks seem to thrive on cliches, the talking points put forth by various organizations become monotonous and are quickly lost in the shuffle.

K9SS likes this.
  10. K0IDT

K0IDT Ham Member QRZ Page

Put an end to the resource hogging initiatives that have no chance of getting off the ground and put them into member retention and recruitment.
    No need to go to an outside firm to find out what's wrong, ask the members, listen for a change and make all polls public including comments.
    I'm personally fed up with the "significant support" crap then when the rubber hits the road it's a different story......latest ARRL annual report,
    the QST redesign “was met with widespread praise,” where's the content that will get and keep members?
    Stop cranking out "emergency communicators", most won't join the league and a good percentage will bail from the hobby when their HT battery dies.
    Start representing all amateurs.
    I'll wait for the elections coming up to decide if I will renew, any funny business in the process and I'll be gone.

K9SS, KC9YGN, AI7PM and 2 others like this.