What say you?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Equipment Reviews' started by K1RET, May 8, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
  1. K1RET

K1RET XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Thank you John! I'm partial to Yaesu as well...My Elmer is a strict Yaesu consumer, though my Godfather is Kenwood and ICOM... As soon as I get my General Ticket I will try and find you on the air. I love my card as well...took a long time to come up with the design...just waiting on the printer to send them! :)

2. KG5HVO

KG5HVO Ham Member QRZ Page

You should try the Kenwood TS 440SAT if available. That rig has helped me collect at least 50+ QSL cards. 73- Bryant KG5HVO

3. K1RET

K1RET XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Will do some reading on it thank you! :)

1 person likes this.
  4. AE9EE

AE9EE XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hi Ed. For about $100 you can get a ThumbDV dongle, plug it into a Windows computer and have all three digital modes, D-Star. DMR and Fusion. That would mean no antenna, no expensive HF rig, no power supply, no tuner, no lightening arrestors, no ground rod, and no climbing on the roof. Those 3 modes have crystal clear digital sound to about 3000 "rooms" with probably many thousands of hams world wide. Best of all, you don't need to fight the guys with the big money and the "Watts" to prove it. You can do it all with a Technician ticket. Email me through the QRZ site and I'll provide easy instructions on the BlueDV "free" software. Yep, it is hard to believe. (I am retired and have no affiliation with the dongle maker or software developer.)

Last edited: Jul 5, 2020
  5. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

Meaning what? No radio?

Jim, this thread is 4 years old... just a head's up!

PU2OZT likes this.
  6. WB2LBV

WB2LBV Ham Member QRZ Page

A quick look at Ed's profile page will show that he has since upgraded to General and has an HF radio (FT-991A), so no need to drag this up now.

W7EDC likes this.
  7. AE9EE

AE9EE XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Yikes... didn't realize it was that old. Just trying to encourage new hams to join in. With a Tech license you can get into ham radio at a bargain price. You are right.... no radio until the guy decides he is ready and can afford it along with all the MUST HAVE accessories.

WR2E likes this.
  8. KU3X

KU3X Ham Member QRZ Page

I have seen used FT 991's sell for $800. I've seen used FT991A's go for around $900.
    If your heart is set on the FT991A with an active scope, save your lunch money until you get the $900 and get it. I have one and I really like it.
    Don't get something you may not like. Save for what you want.
    Good luck,
    Barry, KU3X

9. K8HIT

K8HIT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

IC-7300, used or on sale Black Friday.