What radio are you buying next and why?

Discussion in 'On the Road' started by KO4ESA, Mar 13, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: L-Geochron
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
  1. KJ5T

KJ5T Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

If you just want to get on 10 meters there are a lot of options. There isn't much on 12 during this part of the solar cycle. The IC-705 is a great rig if you plan to do portable/QRP work but there are a lot of options if you just need to get on 10.

KO4ESA likes this.
  2. WW2PT

WW2PT Ham Member QRZ Page

You’re comparing an amateur radio transceiver to a CB. But yes, it’s cheaper—you’ll have lots of cash leftover to buy some Baofeng HTs. Good luck!

KO4ESA likes this.
  3. AC0GT

AC0GT Ham Member QRZ Page

It's not a CB radio. It's a dual band, 10 and 12 meters, radio capable of FM, SSB, and CW at about 30 watts. It's made by a company better known for their CB radios but it's still an Amateur radio.

I know it's cheap, and likely not the most polished of radios, but I've read some good things about it.

NY7Z and KO4ESA like this.
  4. N5AF

N5AF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I've heard the II+ in use. The unit sounds fine on phone, but you might want to review the thread here about CW use: https://forums.qrz.com/index.php?threads/president-lincoln-ii-in-cw-mode.662713/#post-5102914

I wouldn't discount it all for a low cost 10m rig. Might be fun if the sun ever wakes up..

NY7Z, AC0GT and KO4ESA like this.
  5. W0WLA

W0WLA Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't know what I'm buying next. I purchased a Yaesu FT-891 2 months ago. Still waiting for it to show up. I bought it because I wanted a mobile HF radio. The price, features and reviews on it seem to lean toward it being a nice radio. (patiently waiting for the big brown truck to stop at my house)

KO4ESA likes this.
  6. KO4ESA

KO4ESA Ham Member QRZ Page

I just ordered the Ic705 plus some items to go with it.
    I’m happy to have chosen the Ic705 for my radio.

N3AWS and K8HIT like this.
  7. KJ7GIY

KJ7GIY Ham Member QRZ Page

Just installed a Yaesu FTM-300DR in the Jeep. Not sure if I am going to keep the head unit where it is due to heat concerns, but that is where it is for the time being. I went with the FTM-300 due to the APRS ability, size and non-touch screen. Great little rig so far.

IMG_1185.jpg IMG_1186.jpg

WM7C and KO4ESA like this.
  8. K6CPO

K6CPO Ham Member QRZ Page

I can't buy a new radio...

190039760_4655182094498795_6537327095418292412_n.jpg

AK4LP, PU2OZT and KO4ESA like this.
  9. KO4ESA

PU2OZT likes this.
  10. KO4ESA