What radio are you buying next and why?

Discussion in 'On the Road' started by KO4ESA, Mar 13, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: HRDLLC-2
  1. WD4ELG

WD4ELG Ham Member QRZ Page

IC-705, sold my IC-9700 to help pay for it. This thing is amazing, probably won't by another radio for 20 years (I said that in the past but I mean it this time!)

KO4ESA, N4DJC and N3AWS like this.
  2. K8HIT

K8HIT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

ID-52 is next. Bought a pair of Anytone D878UVII last week.

KO4ESA likes this.
  3. KD2RHT

KD2RHT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Would love to hear your thoughts on that Anytone D878UVII. Thinking about one myself

KO4ESA likes this.
  4. KO4ESA

KO4ESA Ham Member QRZ Page

It will be my main radio. Currently the kenwood thd74 has been my main radio. I monitor the local frequencies on my baofeng radios.

5. KJ5T

KJ5T Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I am tempted if my first half bonus is good to get an FTDX-10. I don't need it, but from what I have seen it's one heck of a rig for under 2k.

KO4ESA, WW2PT and KD7LX like this.
  6. KD7LX

KD7LX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

It is awesome! It has a few quirks but the DNR is magic. I'm sure glad they were out of 7300's when I was in the mood to buy. No regrets!

KO4ESA, WW2PT and KJ5T like this.
  7. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't buy radios; I acquire them.

N3AWS, KO4ESA and WW2PT like this.
  8. KK9W

KK9W Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm not buying anything for a while until the supply chain and other aspects of business get back to a normal after COVID. I think we will see some great new products come of it due to the obsolescence of so many models of radios from all of the big 3 during the pandemic. Icom, Yaesu and Kenwood have had a lot of time and the need to design replacements. By the time possible new models are ready for release the current models like the 891, 991A, 7100, 7300 will be a bit long in the tooth and 101D and its baby brother somewhere in the middle of their product life cycle. I am looking forward to see what may come.

KO4ESA likes this.
  9. AC0GT

AC0GT Ham Member QRZ Page

You posted that already. Why are you making this distinction? If you are acquiring radios by means other than buying them then what are those means? Can you describe how others could acquire radios without buying them? Or stealing them? Then there is getting closer to the original question, what is the next radio you are acquiring and why?

I'm thinking that while a new portable HF radio would be nice I'm not sure how much I'd be willing to spend. An Icom IC-705 is attractive but costs more than a kilobuck. What's more affordable and also attractive is a President Lincoln II+. The features of the IC-705 look great but that's a lot of money for not a lot of RF power. The President radios offer more power for lower cost, but with the tradeoff of fewer bands covered. There's the option of buying both of course. There's the possibility of acquiring them without buying them, at least that appears to be the claim.

KO4ESA likes this.
  10. WD4ELG

WD4ELG Ham Member QRZ Page

@AC0GT I think KL7AJ meant that in humor, not literally.

KO4ESA likes this.