What radio are you buying next and why?

Discussion in 'On the Road' started by KO4ESA, Mar 13, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: QSOToday-1
ad: Left-2
ad: l-BCInc
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: l-gcopper
ad: Left-3
  1. KO4ESA

KO4ESA Ham Member QRZ Page

Hopefully you get it soon.

2. KO4ESA

Seriously. Makes me appreciate Tennessee more.
    Can’t imagine paying 80%

3. PU2OZT

PU2OZT Ham Member QRZ Page

I would be so grateful if Brazilian doomed situation could come to light.

I tend to praise the Hobby purpose and the Scientific aspect of Radio only.
    In Brazil we do not need to emphatize Radio usefulness. Emergency systems are seldom required down here, focusing on Emcom would be a pure waste of ressources.

But you would be hard-pressed to find educational projects linked to radio. You bet instrumentation costs an arm and a leg, even an efficient soldering station is very expensive here.
    So long for STEM, etc...

Goes without saying, nothing's wrong in Amateur Radio from Congressmen's point of view, nor from Labre's (ARRL) or Anatel's (FCC).

Tout va très bien, Madame la Marquise... (air connu)

Oliver

KO4ESA likes this.
  4. MM0LQF

MM0LQF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

FTDX10.

The folks at my club who are serious HF contesters have all recently updated from FT1000MPs to FTDX101MPs, and love them.

And the FTDX10 looks to be basically a 80% of the features of the FTDX101, but for half the price.

A definite step up from my FT-450D at any rate.

WW2PT, KO4ESA, N3AWS and 1 other person like this.
  5. AH7I

AH7I Ham Member QRZ Page

error

6. AH7I

AH7I Ham Member QRZ Page

Dr OM Oliver,
    How is the tax on used gear? Anyone still using USA mil satellites as 'CB' transponders?
    73, -Bob ah7i

KO4ESA likes this.
  7. N3AWS

N3AWS Ham Member QRZ Page

I just bought a Flex 6400M, but not to use as a mobile rig per se. I don’t want to install it in my trailer.

But I can operate my Flex remote anywhere I have adequate internet connectivity using my iPad.

That solves a lot of potential problems and my iPad is even more portable than my FT-817.

Jim N3AWS

KO4ESA likes this.
  8. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I quit ham radio 25 years ago after moving into an HOA community. Talking with some ham friends I decided to attempt "stealth" antennas in my HOA community. After 4 years of experimenting I gave up on stealth for portable operating only. Recently moving into a 7 story building in a large senior living enclave I have not attempted to operate anything else but portable. Kept my FT-817ND and MTR3B as I don't like lugging large batteries about.

I've settled on two antennas....a tripod mounted pole with a sloping dipole for 40/20M using laundry reels for wire storage and a Yaesu AT-25. AT-25 for hiking, Dipole for vehicle supported trips. My experience with an end fed has not been good. The little AT-25 outperforms the end fed in my experience.

These rigs and antenna meet my needs nicely. I've learned to love QRP and portable operating. My success rate is totally based on location. I am currently attempting to form a ham club at our facility. Learned that a sister facility in Maryland has a ham club and schack but is still limited to stealth antenna. That being the case I have no desire to pursue setting up a shack here. Portable ops beat a residence mounted stealth antenna from my experience. No need to frustrate myself setting up a shack w/o a decent "real" antenna. That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

KO4ESA and N3AWS like this.
  9. N8ZL

N8ZL Ham Member QRZ Page

Ic7300!! Hands down

KO4ESA likes this.
  10. KO4ESA

That is my plan. To have a radio to use as remote or mobile with different antenna choices.