ad: Mircules-1

What radio are you buying next and why?

Discussion in 'On the Road' started by KO4ESA, Mar 13, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. KO4ESA

KO4ESA Ham Member QRZ Page

I am enjoying this journey of learning the ham radio hobby. Hopefully after researching and reading reviews and comments I can finally decide what my new radio will be.
    Maybe the Ft991a or the IC705 ,I’m still not sure which it will be.

N8ZL likes this.
  2. W9FL

W9FL Ham Member QRZ Page

Get an IC-7300.

You won't be sorry.

N5HVG, K0UO, KB8VUM and 1 other person like this.
  3. G8FXC

G8FXC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I could quite fancy the FTDX-10 but it is not sufficiently better than my 7300 to justify the cost of changing.

Martin

K0UO and KO4ESA like this.
  4. W7HV

W7HV Ham Member QRZ Page

Are you replacing a radio or is this your first venture into new bands?

KO4ESA likes this.
  5. KJ7MJR

KJ7MJR Ham Member QRZ Page

I would love an IC-705 at some point. But I am still learning my pretty new to me IC-7100. I did have an FT991A I just sold. It was a nice radio also. Of course an IC-7300 would be fun to play with also. Kinda a lot of options out there. But right now my vote goes for the IC-705 for my needs.

KO4ESA likes this.
  6. KU3X

KU3X Ham Member QRZ Page

First you have to decide how much you are willing to spend on a new radio? .......and that would be?
    Next you have to decide what features you like?
    Asking a question here.....like....."What radio should I buy?" is like asking what color socks should I get? What kind of car should I get?

If you are focusing on just two radios, like the IC705 or the FT991A?......then it's easy. Do you want 100 watts output power or 10 watts output power?

Before you even consider getting a radio that can only put out 10 watts, you better connect with someone who enjoys QRP operating. You need an understanding of what QRP is all about and what to expect out of only 10 watts. I love QRP but it's not for everybody.

Do a lot of research before you purchase your first radio.

Good luck and welcome to the hobby.
    Barry, KU3X

K0UO and KO4ESA like this.
  7. KO4ESA

KO4ESA Ham Member QRZ Page

I have also thought about the ic7300. I enjoy take time to decide. A lot to learn. This is my forever hobby.

K0UO and KU3X like this.
  8. PU2OZT

PU2OZT Ham Member QRZ Page

[​IMG]

What else should I need... fancy screen? nope! only distracts from listening.
    But, rig being much less critical than antenna, I bought some land adjacent to my 20-story building
    [​IMG]

Next, importing the masts and Optibeam(s).

I envy you, who can simply buy a new transceiver, and with no 80% taxation burden.

Because I'd have to move, that's what «next» means to me.

Oliver

WD0BCT, N3AWS and KO4ESA like this.
  9. KU3X

KU3X Ham Member QRZ Page

Oliver,
    Are you serious? Do you have to actually pay 80% on top of a normal sale price? Holy cow !
    Barry

PU2OZT and KO4ESA like this.
  10. W9WQA

W9WQA Ham Member QRZ Page

7300 spoiled me forever, no more old fashioned radios. like a tv with a dead pix tube !!

KO4ESA, K7OZI and K0UO like this.