ad: Radclub22-1

What QSO time do you log?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by N7TAT, Dec 6, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-BCInc
  1. N7TAT

N7TAT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Beginning of QSO or End? Or something else?

2. WG7X

WG7X Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Well... I usually log both. That said, when considering coordination of data base's especially for awards, the start time is the most important.

I use AC log from N3FJP. So when I start a "Q", I enter in the other ham's call sign and hit tab or space. AC Log then fills in the start time. At the end of the conversation or contact I hit the enter key and that logs the contact and fills in the end time.

A lot of hams also connect their logging programs to the radio so that the band / frequency is also updated automatically. I'm not that high speed yet, maybe someday. Again, for most logging programs and data base's the start time is important but the actual frequency is not, just the band i.e. 20 meters or 15 meters. Mode of operation is also pretty important: CW, RTTY, PHONE (which is sub-divided into AM, FM, & SSB).

WA9FZB, W7UUU and WA9SVD like this.
  3. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

UTC for me. I try to note the start but sometimes I'm lucky to get the end. It's not been too big a problem for me yet. I'm not above moving a time around a few minutes if it makes the other guy happy.

WG7X likes this.
  4. G3EDM

G3EDM Ham Member QRZ Page

Both. Mainly because my paper RSGB log has columns for both. Start time usually rounded to nearest five minutes because I operate CW-only and as a Morse newbie, I am often too busy copying the start of the QSO to note the time. I also use LOTW and it only has a single field for time, so I use the start time.

73 de Martin, G3EDM/2ZE

N2UHC, W5ESE and WA1GXC like this.
  5. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Beginning.

EI4HWB, W0FS, K0UO and 1 other person like this.
  6. KT0DX

KT0DX Ham Member QRZ Page

Always log the start time of the QSO.

W0FS and K0UO like this.
  7. K8DO

K8DO Ham Member QRZ Page

Neither. I don't bother with a log. I find the guys that tell me, we talked in 2012 at so and so time, amusing.

KI7TGX, K1LKP, SA1CKE and 1 other person like this.
  8. N2EY

N2EY Ham Member QRZ Page

Start and end times (if different) in UTC.

W5ESE, K7TRF, K9NUD and 1 other person like this.
  9. KK9W

KK9W Ham Member QRZ Page

The end when it is entered into the log. They don't last long enough for the time difference from start to finish to matter.

WZ7U likes this.
  10. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

That's sad.:(

AJ4GQ, K1OIK, W5ESE and 5 others like this.