What QRP Operating Today?

Discussion in 'QRP Corner' started by KM4DYX, Aug 15, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. WN1MB

WN1MB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hi Layne!

Nuthin' fancy. Threw 60' of #26 enameled magnet wire out the window (second floor) and out across the top of a couple of small trees. No end insulator - just tied to some string, then the string tied to a branch within reach of ground level.

There's 30' of the same type wire for a counterpoise, which is stapled to walls around the operating room. A simple homebrew L-network provides a match on all the bands I have equipment for: 80, 40, 20, and 15 meters.

Oddly enough, on 40 meters it seems easier to get into Europe than to get past the Mississippi River. I do pretty well all the way to and into 8-land, but somethin' 'bout that river... Go figure! I was going to write my ARRL Director to see if the League could do anything about it, but someone here on The Zed told me not to bother, because the League only serves itself and not the membership...;)

AJ6KZ, KA5NLY, KC3RN and 1 other person like this.
  2. W8MLJ

W8MLJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

There is space for just one filter in the 818- CW or SSB. I am currently learning code, and will probably end up getting the CW filter.
    But it will have to wait- I spent my remaining ham budget for this year on the radio!

N8AFT likes this.
  3. N8AFT

N8AFT Ham Member QRZ Page

FB Jeff Man... The antenna sounds great! Stealthy is healthy.... I'd haul off and bother yer ARRL local guy anyway.
    You're being persuaded by an ingrate ham and quite vy likely a non-member of the league! So go fer it!
    BTW; Drop the Y and you have my name correct... ;)

4. N8AFT

YaY You!

W4ZNG likes this.
  5. WN1MB

WN1MB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Sorry about that, Lane. We've had a couple QSOs - probably well over a year or two ago - and I thought my memory recall was spot on. Close, but no cigar. I suspect I confused the spelling of your name with that of Layne Staley, deceased former lead singer for Alice in Chains.

Coincidentally, the book I'm currently reading is Untangling Alzheimer's - by Tam Cummings, PhD. :confused:

6. N8AFT

Hey Marcus! Glad you are busy learning code and not learning CW!
    You will be rewarded with many fine CW QSO's!
    Be patient while learning and when it gets tedious then take a break fer a few days and come bk fresh!
    You will be amazed at how much you will have not forgotten during the break period!
    YES, CW filters will make ALL the diff!. I have 300Hz in my FT857 and wish at times I had a skinnier one! hi hi.
    Likely you will too after you get experience on the air...
    Start off using the stock Yaesu and when u get a CW filter you'll appreciate it all the more!
    Makes those weak sigs 'pop out' too!

Learn Morse.
    Do CW.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2019
    W8MLJ likes this.
  7. N8AFT

Well Jeff, I am so happy that You are Not Tangled!
    Take yer vitamins and keep yourself moving and excercising daily will go a long way to fend off that curse!
    VY 73 my friend and Merry Christmas! QSO u agn soon I hope....

8. KM4DYX

KM4DYX Ham Member QRZ Page

Nice day chasing SOTA guys. Keith, KR7RK, who usually can be found somewhere in 7 land scaling mountains, came east for Christmas. I worked him on 60 with my 817. He was only about 180 miles away. QRP-QRP and strong sigs both ways.

9. KI5CAW

KI5CAW Ham Member QRZ Page

Worked BC for the RAC test with my QCX. 2400 miles, 5 watts, whoopee!

KC7JNJ and W8MLJ like this.
  10. W4ZNG

W4ZNG Ham Member QRZ Page

Yeah, things are really picking up with QRP for me. Hooked up the Easy Digi and iPhone last night. Almost every band was dead, but managed to squeak out a 900+ mile PSK-31 QSO to Michigan.

W8MLJ likes this.