What QRP Operating Today?

Discussion in 'QRP Corner' started by KM4DYX, Aug 15, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. AJ6KZ

AJ6KZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Took my first shot at QRP from a park at the top of Reseda Bl. in the LA area. I set up a SOTABeams dual band antenna rigged for 40M and checked out the SWR. It was all in the 1.69 or lower range without a tuner. I hooked up my kit QRP-Labs QCX kit 5W transceiver and I could instantly hear all sorts of traffic. I wasn't, however, able to make any contacts. I don't know if anybody heard me but didn't bother replying or whether I just wasn't getting out. I am new and SLOW on CW. :)

Still, it was kind of a magical experience. Great fun!

WN1MB likes this.
  2. KM4DYX

KM4DYX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Welcome aboard! You can always use a websdr to listen to your own signal. And there is the Reverse Beacon network, as well. CW is the way to go for QRP these days, for sure. Enjoy the hobby.

Al

AJ6KZ likes this.
  3. KD8ZM

KD8ZM Ham Member QRZ Page

Just worked yv5iua in Venezuela on 5w, 30 meter band. Excellent signal. There seems to be a RTTY contest on 40m so that band is intolerable at the moment.

4. KM4DYX

KM4DYX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

KD8ZM likes this.
  5. KF9VV

KF9VV Ham Member QRZ Page

Worked an hour or so of the Ohio QSO Party today via CW. Used a 110' inverted V up 35' and was able to work just about any calling station first try. Fun!

It was the shake down ride of the Multus Proficio I recently acquired. It integrated well with logging software and was a lot of fun on the air.

KD8ZM and KC7JNJ like this.
  6. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

Answered KG4WAE's CQ last night on 40M, as he had a nice 589 signal. Received a 559. Turns out the QSO was 2xQRP: my HW-8's 2 watts and his K1's 5 watts -- wire antennas on both sides of the link.

Same thrill as my first QRP contact nearly a half-century ago. The mystique lives on.

KD8ZM, KC3RN, KC7JNJ and 1 other person like this.
  7. N8AFT

N8AFT Subscriber QRZ Page

Did my second car side portable outting of 2019 Saturday morning til late afternoon... all CW
    Was running other than QRP but please forgive me.... I worked QRP with the few who were.
    Learned alot about my solar charge and battery setup... 2 100w panels, full sun, 33ah battery.
    100w for 5 hrs didn't reduce the battery one little bit. Good to know...
    Ran shirtless for at least three hours, got a semi-burn, now I have a nice tan!
    Much fun and many QSO's...
    Left my gear in the car for next weekend!

AJ6KZ likes this.
  8. KC7JNJ

KC7JNJ Ham Member QRZ Page

getting out is half the battle! Sounded like a fun time.

N8AFT and AJ6KZ like this.
  9. N8AFT

N8AFT Subscriber QRZ Page

QUITE ADCITIVE! READY FOR ROUND TWO ES TAKING MY PAL K8BBQ SOMETIME DURING THIS WEEK...

10. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

Is that your organic battery charge indicator? ;)