ad: portazero-1

What QRP Operating Today?

Discussion in 'QRP Corner' started by KM4DYX, Aug 15, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. KC3RN

KC3RN Ham Member QRZ Page

Heading to Myrtle Beach tomorrow, and taking my 9200 with me. We'll be on the 11th floor on the building, facing the ocean. Hopefully will have some decent conditions.... Look for me on 40, 30, or 20 CW.

2. N8AFT

N8AFT Subscriber QRZ Page

Sounds like fun all the way around....
    Do you have frequencies and times in mind at this point?

3. KC3RN

Not at this point, although I like to operate in the mornings before 9ish. I'll probably start somewhere around 7.045. Gotta keep the schedule flexible to keep my XYL happy. It's the first vacation we've taken for several years....

4. KD8ZM

KD8ZM Ham Member QRZ Page

Conditions for QRP are excellent on 40m this morning, if you haven't noticed. Nice surprise.

N8AFT likes this.
  5. N8AFT

N8AFT Subscriber QRZ Page

6. KC3RN

No luck so far from the beach.... Tried 40 and 20, but nothing. Worse yet, no spots on the RBN.

I'm 15 stories up, right on the beach. A clear shot to Europe. However, the building is metal and stucco, so I'm stuck in a giant Faraday cage!!! With no way to get the antenna out away from the building. At least the view is great, the beach is nice, and the weather's been good.

This is really my first experience at portable operation, and I've learned quite a bit. FWIW, here's what I've found:

- I like my 9200, but changing bands is a real PITA. I hate having to take the radio apart to swap modules. I really only work 40 and 20, and 30 on a rare occasion. Thinking about swapping the 9200 for something that has all 3 bands already on board.
    - 22 gauge speaker wire is terrible for antennas. It works okay, but tangles very easily. I spent more time unraveling my antenna than I did calling CQ.
    - I was using 1/4 wave radiating elements with a counterpoise, direct into my 971 tuner. Next time I'll try a mag loop.
    - When I got the 9200, I homebrewed a set of mini iambic paddles. Used PC board stock. They actually worked great.
    - South Carolina at the end of August is HOT.....

7. KM4DYX

KM4DYX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Last time I was at the beach I walked out on the pier and I wondered how well it would work if I could dangle an end fed antenna off the end of the pier. Probably a rule against it. Maybe set up on the beach. A vertical shouldn't be an issue. You could even bury some radials if you got there early enough. If you're real early you could set up about anything you want.

I know what you mean about time spent untangling wire. I've spent more time in my back yard untangling antenna wire than I have operating. SOTABEAMS sells a couple of nifty linked dipoles with wire winders included. Very well constructed with baluns and light weight. Get yourself a 10 meter fishing pole and you have a complete antenna system.

Enjoy your vacation.

Al

P.S.: RBN can be fickle. The other day I was testing on 60 meters, no spots, yet I could hear myself on a websdr in D.C..

KC3RN and W5BIB like this.
  8. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

I seldom experience tangles or such issues with either "unzipped" light gauge speaker wire or other compromise wire antennas. Consider better spools or wire management/stowage devices.

One "night operations only" stealth antenna I used from the apartment featured an old fly fishing reel attached to a shelving L bracket that was screwed down to a window sill. It worked a charm for reeling out either speaker or magnet wire antennas.

9. KM4DYX

KM4DYX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I try, I really do. It seems, however, that I have a particular gift in this regard. Extension cords, transmission lines, antenna wires, you name it, I've tangled 'em all. The wire winders that come with the SOTABEAMS dipole does help. I've wanted to try a "yo-yo" type or fishing reel dipole but I've not got to it yet.

10. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

This made me literally laugh out loud. heh. I know what you mean! My own personal bogeyman is impatience. If I'm in a rush, things have a tendency to become AFU. If I take my time and methodically approach a project, things generally go much better.

The paradox is this: when I'm in rush-rush-rush mode, slamming on the brakes is usually the best way to make any progress.